Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bulb Mode, rear dial (aperture) not working

i tried a search and could not come up with anything on this but wondering if anyone has experienced a similar issue.

Last night i was shooting long exposures with the K5 in bulb mode with a cable release. Several times i noticed the rear dial would not change the aperture when i turned it. a few times there was a long delay from when i clicked it a couple clicks until the aperture changed. other times, no effect whatsoever. I found that if i changed the mode dial to MANUAL i could set the aperture and then go back to BULB to shoot at the selected aperture.
i had my vertical grip installed but it was set to OFF the entire time; i am aware that some glitches with dials can occur when using a grip...not the case here.
today i tried to recreate the problem and of course it is working again.

what's going on??

thanks!

11-27-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Whenever this has happened to me, it has been fixed by turning the vertical grip switch to On and then OFF again. Most of my quirky issues (including unable to meter properly) with the K-5 have been because the vertical grip power switch was in a position between ON and OFF.

Jack
11-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
thanks for the reply - next time it happens, i will try that. it is certainly possible the ON/OFF switch on the grip fell into an in between position at some point.