Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2011, 03:02 AM   #1

finding custom menu ?

I have just bought a new K5 and started the set up. At this stage I only have an old manual pentax lens. According to the handbook p339, it seems to say that I cannot start to use the camera without setting the 'using aperture ring' to 'permitted' in the custom setting 4 menu.

However, I can't find the custom menus at all. Can someone help?

Thanks

11-30-2011, 03:56 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You should find a a diagram in the front of your manual, showing button locations. On my K20D the Menu button is on the camera back, upper left, a bit below the Mode dial; and the APERTURE RING setting is just above the bottom of the options list. Good luck!
11-30-2011, 04:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Andrew, when you press the menu button, the screen would show the first tab (or folder), turning your rear dial left (clockwise) once, you will be on the last tab (C4 folder); use the four-way pad to move cursor up/down to item 27. change the setting to 2 (permit)... hit menu to save the setting.
11-30-2011, 05:23 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks both - I had the same ideas as you, but the problem was that using these techniques, the custom menus simply didn't appear where the book said they should (i.e. to the right of the setup modes)

I finally realised by trial and error that the custom menus don't appear unless you shift the mode dial to any setting other than automatic (green). I don't really understand the design logic of that. If it had to be that way, it might have been better if the camera software had been designed to show them when in that mode, but with an information display saying 'change mode dial to activate' or similar.

11-30-2011, 05:38 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
I finally realised by trial and error that the custom menus don't appear unless you shift the mode dial to any setting other than automatic (green).
You're right. The green mode is a huge trap.

Nobody here in the forum shoots in green mode so we probably should take this into account when somebody with a new purchase has a problem.

The logic behind the green mode is great though: Turn the camera into green mode before handing it to somebody else. So e.g., he won't be able to deconfigure your camera by going into custom menues In all other situation, at least use the "P" mode instead of green.
12-05-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
However, I can't find the custom menus at all. Can someone help?
Just opened the box on my brand new K-5, hit the menu button to turn on Aperture Ring Permitted and no custom menu! 30 seconds to search here and yep, still have it in green mode. Hey it only has 3 shutter actuations, it takes time to get these things set up.

+1 on the thanks!