Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Considering K-5, worried about problems...

I was about to get a K-5 based on it's obvious positives, but I've been reading about all the problems in this forum and wonder If I should get one.

I absolutely cannot stand an unreliable camera. My current cameras, K20D, K-x and 3 *istD's function flawlessly.

Have all the problems been solved for the most part? or completely?

12-01-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by skid2964 Quote
Have all the problems been solved for the most part? or completely?
Pretty much. Most users don't run in to any issues at all; worse case you can always exchange your camera within 30 days in the unlikely event of finding stains, an inaccurate level, mirror flop, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Where is the best place to ensure I get one that was manufactured recently?
Adorama or BH is a safe bet?

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Pretty much. Most users don't run in to any issues at all; worse case you can always exchange your camera within 30 days in the unlikely event of finding stains, an inaccurate level, mirror flop, etc.
12-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

They both flushed out their stock recently so yes, it'll be a brand new camera. I would go for Adorama as their return policy is a bit more generous.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-01-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5's worth the investment.
It's a reliable camera, notwithstanding obvious issues in some.
You'll notice a more responsive and broader performance profile over the K20D and K-x.
12-01-2011, 08:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you have five flawless cameras now, why take the risk of breaking that string of success?

Of course, they are unlikely to remain flawless for another decade or two - so go ahead and take a chance. Life is an uncertain place and something unfortunate will happen to all of us before too much time passes. Don't waste that time wondering if the K-5 will reward your investment. It will, even if you have to use the warranty. Send Adorama or B&H some money and they'll send you happiness in return. Fear not, my friend.

By the way, if you have lucked out with five successive flawless cameras I would appreciate it if you would pick a few lottery numbers for me.
12-01-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a K-5 about 3 days ago. Been using it a lot. Fabulous camera...so far no problems..touch wood. Got a K10D in 2007, a KM (K2000) in '09...work them hard...no problems yet...again..touch wood.

12-01-2011, 08:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Not a problem or complaint here.......and even with the record of some having difficulties, it is well worth the small risk. Amazing camera! Takes great Squirrel shots too! Can I still say that here?

Regards....order and enjoy!
12-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Not a problem or complaint here.......and even with the record of some having difficulties, it is well worth the small risk. Amazing camera! Takes great Squirrel shots too! Can I still say that here?

Regards....order and enjoy!
You can still say that here!
12-01-2011, 08:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

A question arose a few months ago about failure rates of various camera brands. I don't recall if it was addressed to B&H or which online store, but IIRC the answers were 1) very few cameras are returned, and 2) return rates of different brands are about the same. So the chances are overwhelming that any K5 purchased now will be a great camera.
12-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
If you have five flawless cameras now, why take the risk of breaking that string of success?

Of course, they are unlikely to remain flawless for another decade or two - so go ahead and take a chance. Life is an uncertain place and something unfortunate will happen to all of us before too much time passes. Don't waste that time wondering if the K-5 will reward your investment. It will, even if you have to use the warranty. Send Adorama or B&H some money and they'll send you happiness in return. Fear not, my friend.

By the way, if you have lucked out with five successive flawless cameras I would appreciate it if you would pick a few lottery numbers for me.
I've been playing the numbers, never hit the big one... if I had, I'd have 7 K-5's already and choose my favorite and give the rest to the posters in this thread!
12-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will go ahead and get one, I just wish I'd gotten this urge Monday !!
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
They both flushed out their stock recently so yes, it'll be a brand new camera
I guess I was on the receiving end of that flush. Because the one I purchased less than a month ago at B&H was manufactured in March. Since the first camera they sold me turned out to have been a defective unit (manufactured in July) returned by someone else, I had hoped my second one would have been from a fresher batch. It's working ok so far (though it's flakier than my K-7 in some ways) so maybe March was a good vintage...

I would go for Adorama as their return policy is a bit more generous.
In what ways exactly, Adam? I've never had a problem with a B&H return (except indirectly, as I noted, with a problem caused by someone else's return.)

worse case you can always exchange your camera within 30 days in the unlikely event of finding stains, an inaccurate level, mirror flop, etc.
The caveat there is the limit on shutter actuations: B&H's return policy says returned cameras need to have a shutter count of less than 200. Anybody carefully checking out their camera is likely to hit 200 far before that month is up, surely. Having a month (or much longer, if B&H is doing their extended holiday return period again this year; I don't know if they are or not) is great for evaluating a lens, but I'm not sure how much help it is for a camera, if they in fact do reject returns with too high a shutter count. Does anyone know if they do?

Last edited by pentup; 12-04-2011 at 12:09 PM.
12-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #14
Closed Account

I bought K5 without close research on the issues people having. (I've read a lot of positive things about it, but didn't pay attention to all negatives
No ...I am getting paranoid .

Can someone suggest good set of tests to ensure camera is "good".

And also, is there way to find out when camera was manufactured ?
12-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You can get a 3 year Pentax warranty for 20 bucks. That's peace of mind for less than 7 bucks a year. No-brainer IMHO.