Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
12-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Wow. Ok. First, no one owes you anything - period. So, its a crap shoot - that's why I didn't bitch about not finding them for my K-x but offered this thread to others so they might be able to make their own decisions. Second, "shoulds" are amazing things - I should make a million dollars a day for what I do - but then reality is a real tough task master. You DO need the paper warranty, and that's just the way it is - get over it. Third, they could sell them for $75 and still look like they are making us a deal - for a for-profit retailer to sell something at 20% of what the manufacturer retails it for is amazing to me because its pretty unheard of - be as cynical as you want but I APPRECIATE that it did not cost me ~$100.

Good points but let me add...

I have seen this many times. During the K7 run the same exact problem happened. Many folks called Pentax and they said just send in the receipt showing purchase of the camera in question and your payment for the extended warranty; also register your warranty. In fact for a short time Pentax stopped making the cards and just accepted the receipt showing you paid for the warranty and its linked to your cameras serial number. In any case the warranty card is a none factor. The terms of the extended warranty are written on Pentax website. If and when they get cards in stock they will send you one. However the point is you do not, nor every have needed to get a card to receive the benefits of the extended warranty as long as your receipt showed you payed for it; along with the serial number the warranty applies to (the reason for cards, to link the camera and warranty, as the card use to have a unique code). Right now a lot of Pentax newcomers are a bit mixed and surprised Pentax even had the warranty.

Basically you can't be out of stock of an extended warranty. Its a service! As long as you pay for it the card for documentation can be mailed out at a latter date as it has been done for years. I had to register, send a copy of my receipt and wait for my card.

I as others had some problems getting Pentax even three years ago to send out the warranty card. It was because one person Joe Virgil took care of all warranty cards! So it was me being kinda impatient (I think). But at least until Pentax was sold to Ricoh the person to talk to is Joe Virgil about warranty card issues.

Most info deleted for privacy reasons.
TO:Joe Virgil

RE:K20D extended warranty

I sent twoemails for my warranty and asked for a reply I received no reply so I contactedcustomer service they gave me your email address and said you could handle itdirectly for me. Below is a copy of the second request. Attached is a jpeg withcopies of my receipt and serial number card. Thank you.
My cellphone number
pleaseconfirm you have received the following, Just a quick reply would beappreciated as I feel my emails don’t get anywhere.

K7 Warranty: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

The problem with the warranty now is greed. Also the prior models 'seemed' to have far fewer issues. I can kinda understand not wanting to eat warranty costs on a K5, but neither am I going to eat the costs, so...

Last edited by jamesm007; 12-10-2011 at 10:28 AM.