Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 05:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Help for a new K5 user

I just took the plunge and updated from a K10d to the K5 (couldn't beat the Cyber Monday prices...). I'm on page 42 of the manual (going over how to use the menus) and what I'm seeing in the camera is not even close to what is on that page. For example, I have 2 pages in capture mode on the camera. The book says there are supposed to be 5. I only have the ones starting with (page 1) file format and (page 2) live view. Most of those items are grayed out. The custom menu options the book discusses doesn't even exist in the menus I'm looking at in the camera.

It also won't let me change to RAW and, when skipping through the index to change all the items it says needs to be changed, I found most of those items don't exist in the menus.

Does anyone know what is going on?

12-06-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by opiet70 Quote
Does anyone know what is going on?
Yes I do You are in green box auto mode which hides lots of goodies in the menus. Put the camera in any other mode and you will see all the options.
12-06-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That I am. I will check it right in a bit
12-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Did the same thing myself the first day. Frustrating and humbling at the same time. I am using Yvon Bourque's K5 eBook and finding it a good addition to the manual. It helps that its in PDF and I can access it from multiple platforms.

PENTAX DSLRs: Download a free sample of the Pentax K-5 e-book before you purchase.

12-06-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you. That worked. I will pick up the book too!
12-07-2011, 10:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I hate the inconsistency of those menus in graying some things out, but not listing other items at all. Green mode especially seems to be the "let's confuse the new user" mode.
I also wish Green mode permitted switching to Raw. Just because I may be handing the camera to someone else doesn't mean I suddenly want Jpegs only.
12-07-2011, 11:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have to disagree with you, pentup.

Green mode is 'hand the camera to Granny' mode. Point n shoot mode. No need for raw or many of the other advanced features. If you want to use them, switch the camera to another mode. If you want someone else to take the shot in RAW, use P mode and adjust the settings accordingly.

To the op - The k-5 is a great camera and very advanced. The menu's take a little getting used to, but I find them to be 2nd nature after having had the cam for a year. My advice would be -take your time- learn one setting at a time. HyperP mode is a great feature and where I would reccomend you start out with your new toy.

One of the great joys of being a Pentaxian is this forum. Any questions you have will be answered in great detail by some knowlegable soul.....just ask.

Good luck with your new camera.

12-07-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

pentup, that's what P mode is for.
Green is for the ability to just flip and give to a point & shooter.
P mode gives total control yet the flexibility of having auto exposure at the touch of a button.
12-07-2011, 11:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I shoot almost exclusively in Hyper P mode. Ever since my first camera which had a shiftable P mode and exposure compensation (the original Minolta Maxxum 7000), it's been my mode of choice unless I go full M. I find the workflow very easy to just shift the F stop or shutter to my desired setting and let the camera handle the rest, perhaps with a small tweak to the exposure comp.
12-08-2011, 12:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I also wish Green mode permitted switching to Raw. Just because I may be handing the camera to someone else doesn't mean I suddenly want Jpegs only.
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
pentup, that's what P mode is for. Green is for the ability to just flip and give to a point & shooter.
Which is what I'd just stated.
And the point and shooter won't care about raw vs jpeg. But I do. Especially if they're taking a shot of me.
12-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #11
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Then P mode's for you.
12-08-2011, 01:11 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I don't really understand why we're talking about P mode, actually. I just think Pentax isn't doing new users a favor with the menus. They should just gray things out, not hide them completely.
12-08-2011, 01:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I find the workflow very easy to just shift the F stop or shutter to my desired setting and let the camera handle the rest, perhaps with a small tweak to the exposure comp.
I do that with Av, with the front e-dial set to shutter speed, and I turn auto-ISO on and off as needed. I find it far more convenient than TAv much of the time, at least when the lighting is changing dramatically. P mode annoys me because no matter what I set the program line to, the camera wants to set shutter speeds I can't use. It's as if the camera is assuming I'm using a tripod. I tried experimenting with the Program line settings, but it's not worth the time. Av with the ISO button and the green button give me everything I need. But everyone's needs are different.
12-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #14
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentup Quote
I do that with Av, with the front e-dial set to shutter speed, and I turn auto-ISO on and off as needed. I find it far more convenient than TAv much of the time, at least when the lighting is changing dramatically. P mode annoys me because no matter what I set the program line to, the camera wants to set shutter speeds I can't use. It's as if the camera is assuming I'm using a tripod. I tried experimenting with the Program line settings, but it's not worth the time. Av with the ISO button and the green button give me everything I need. But everyone's needs are different.
I too use Av most of the time.

But if you need quicker shutter speeds you could change the Auto-ISO settings to up the ISO more aggressively - works in P as well as Av.

...and sorry for being completely off topic
12-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
To the op - The k-5 is a great camera and very advanced. The menu's take a little getting used to, but I find them to be 2nd nature after having had the cam for a year. My advice would be -take your time- learn one setting at a time. HyperP mode is a great feature and where I would reccomend you start out with your new toy.
Thanks Wizofoz. I am enjoying the camera quite a bit. I haven't tossed any of my manual lenses on it yet, but it handled my DA 60-250 this weekend with ease in all the modes I tried. I am particularly impressed with the autofocus capabilities...my K10D doesn't compare in any way, shape, or form to that capability.