Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question about K5 Lockups

So I know that some users have issues with their K5 locking up, and to fix it, you just pull out the battery and pop it back in. Not a deal breaker for me by any stretch of the imagination. My main question is.... If your using a grip, and your pulling the power from the grip battery, and it locks up, will just pulling the grip battery do the job, or does the grip need to be removed, and also pull the battery from the body? My K7 I've got it to use the grip by default, and if I get a K5, I'd set it the same, but not sure if this would work in this case to reset it.

12-06-2011, 08:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

If you have the battery management set to whichever battery has the most power, then likely you will have to remove both of them. I've had freezes in the distant past but I don't use a grip on the K5. Seems easy enough to figure out if/when you have that issue.
12-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had to remove both unfortunately Has only happened once, though!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2011, 06:32 AM   #4

While I've had one or two lockups where R&Ring the battery resolved things, in my more recent experience that has not worked. And I've gotten a "battery depleted" message on the lcd screen even tho the battery was freshly charged. In my case a small rap of the K5 with the palm of my hand got things working again. Another poster said pressing the live view button twice worked for him. If R&Ring the battery works I wouldn't get too concerned, but if the second case becomes a pattern I would consider sending it in.

12-07-2011, 10:36 AM   #5

This should not be happening. Send the camera in to Pentax. There's either something up with the actual circuitry or with the logic that governs battery use.
07-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I called my Pentax rep and he says he's never heard of this problem.. he's been working for them for a year. He offered me another battery to try. My also camera got rather hot yesterday and after using two K-5's for a year and never feeling anything like that I'm more than a little pissed off.

Dord anyone have an solution to the Lock-up problem?
07-18-2012, 12:52 PM   #7

sent my k5 in for what seems to be stain , also told them about lock up it only happened once but thats enough c.r.i.s. got her today will see what happens. quite a shame as i got her new as could be and was very happy a42xxxxxxser#. lost with out her

07-19-2012, 12:13 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well, I've just found something interesting regarding the locks : sometimes it's just a slow SD card!

One day I've shot a long movie clip (2-3 minutes, don't remember) without paying attention on the SD card used (was an old PNY 8Go class 4)...

Then as soon as I stopped the recording, I switched to Av mode to grab a snap of my daugther. The camera locked absolutely solid! Power off, LV, shutter, wheels, nothing worked and the rear screen was locked in Liveview.

I then noticed that the writing LED was lit. I let the camera alone for some time, and it became responsive again after a good 2 minutes.

So I did some tests, and I can now duplicate this particular freezing at will... With a fast card you won't have it, but with slow ones, recording a lengthly movie then switching to still mode will "lock" the camera until the buffer is cleared.
07-19-2012, 12:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I haven't had any lock-ups today but I will say that my card is exactly the same as it was yesterday. I use two 16GB 30mb/sec cards for my K-5 and a 32GB class10 for my D800E. I will try my faster card in the camera tomorrow and see what happens. This might explain why this issue appears more when shooting in continuous burst modes.

Thanks for the info.