12-07-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
rlatjsrud

K-5 dead pixel...

Name:  _SKI619011.jpg
Views: 4271
Size:  13.4 KB

So terrible...
I just bought 4month ago.
but Lots of dust in inside of LCD, lots of dead pixcels, and bad censor...
I don't understand why PENTAX company doesn't care about this.
I'll going to try 10 time!
It's not fare!

12-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's quite a few, but unfortunately this is the nature of sensors...have you been using live view a lot? The pixel mapping feature should still be able to correct this- after all, 30 out of 16 million isn't that much

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2011, 05:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Pixel mapping will fix the dead pixels. Your RAW processor will often clean them up automagically too. Have you tried the pixel mapping feature of the camera?

12-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thats quite a bit. But you can map them out via the camera menu.
Dust bunnies need cleaning off of course.

On the bright side, if you were on a Nikon, you'd have to send it in for pixel mapping already.

12-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Why did you start a new thread ?

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/167767-dead-pixcels.html
12-08-2011, 03:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

30 second exposure? That is not a lot of noise for 30 seconds on any dslr. IMO
01-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #7

My Pentax K-5 as 13 hot pixels

I just bought Pentax K-5 and found 13 different color death pixels. Iīm gona return it...

01-14-2012, 03:21 PM   #8
Forum Member

Here's a newsflash for those who think that dead pixels are the end of the world.

ALL MODERN CAMERA SENSORS HAVE DEAD PHOTOSITES (PIXELS)!

That's what the pixel mapping feature, built into the K-5, is for. Learn to use it instead of coming on here and complaining about something that every camera sensor suffers from.

Seriously, nothing puts you further in the noob category than dead pixel complaints.
01-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Veteran Member

20 pages of dead pixel on Nikon D7000, sometimes we complaint for nothing. These guy can not do anything to resolve the issue in Camera except PP
[D7000] - Problems (Bad Pixels)
01-14-2012, 03:41 PM   #10

Not all modern cameras have dead pixel below 1/4s and a very few have it permanently at any speed and with almost any background. So, take some time to consider this.
01-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by joaommff Quote
Not all modern cameras have dead pixel below 1/4s and a very few have it permanently at any speed and with almost any background. So, take some time to consider this.
Do you have source, or are you making things up?

Dead photosites are prevalent on almost all high density sensors. They either get mapped out at the factory, or by software in the camera, or both.

The number of dead photosites can vary based on heat level of the sensor and other factors, but it is a rare camera indeed that doesn't have dead photosites.
01-17-2012, 04:27 AM   #12
Veteran Member

As an engineer who works in the medical imaging field, I can assure you that *all* types of photo detectors have imperfections (dead or unresponsive pixels) that are mapped out in software. Even flat panel detectors that cost as much as a mid-sized car have defects.

This is normal, and nothing to get excited about.
01-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by joaommff Quote
There is a possibility that somewhere in the known universe, there is a camera with no dead or hot pixels, but the odds are so stacked against this as to be statistically non existent.
I'd like to see some proof of this claim you've made, since it is pretty unbelievable.
01-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #14

Many people are very sentimental wen it came to believe that some choices are the best they have done. It is true that Pentax K-5 is one of the best cameras in itīs range, and probably impossible to replace by another in itīs kind. Although, this dead pixels issue, is a really concern. Most of the comments in this subject do not consider that dead pixels or hot pixel in Pentax came in small groups, i mean, when you think that you have a dead pixel in fact are a group of 4, disturbing image at only 100% zoom. Not to talk in video mode, witch is impossible to map them. To really understand if your Pentax is perfectly usable with some dead pixel you should analyze a PEF DNG and find out if you have small groups of dead pixels, witch was my case. If itīs your case to, just return the camera and re-analyze dead pixels in video mode, otherwise you can have the same camera with mapped pixels and with the same problem in video. Do not expend 1000$ in a camera that films with a green dot in the image!!! And please, donīt get so emotional on a camera. Realize that Pentax advantages are also based in some critical errors that in other brands would be much more catastrophic. If you have a Pentax K-5 and you are happy good to you. Iīv just bought one and had to replace it twice till i found one with "less dead pixel" and not in groups! Every body has the right to have a camera that makes pictures without visible "dots" even if it is a 50$ one. Now, and with no future posts, if you decide to buy this camera, check it in the store, if you notice any kind of dot in the pictures or especially in video, consider to take another.