Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2011, 11:30 AM   #1

Extended Warranty.... for Canadians?

Americans get a good buy on a $20 extended warranty giving them 3 year protection.

I was just wondering if there was any extended warranties for Canadians, in and around the same price. Canadians already get a 2 year warranty, but an extra year for $20 would be a no-brainer for me. The company I purchased with didn't offer me an extended warranty.

I've looked into 3rd party options but find them really over priced with mixed reviews on service.

12-08-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't know of any warranties that cheap in Canada. AFAIK Pentax Canada doesn't offer one. Almost every retailer would have an option though Warranties are a big profit center for them.
Henrys offers warranties but the prices are very high and i'm not sure of terms without going into the store since the website does a poor job with them
Vistek is also pricey (3 year domestic - 149, international 209

Personally i don't buy them. despite the number of problems you see here the actual failure rate on this type of product is quite low (typically 4-5% in the first year then it levels off for a long while All major brands not just Pentax)
12-08-2011, 11:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
I don't know of any warranties that cheap in Canada. AFAIK Pentax Canada doesn't offer one. Almost every retailer would have an option though Warranties are a big profit center for them.
Henrys offers warranties but the prices are very high and i'm not sure of terms without going into the store since the website does a poor job with them
Vistek is also pricey (3 year domestic - 149, international 209

Personally i don't buy them. despite the number of problems you see here the actual failure rate on this type of product is quite low (typically 4-5% in the first year then it levels off for a long while All major brands not just Pentax)
Thanks for the reply. I've had a good track record with Pentax, but I have had various other digital cameras break after a year of use *cough* Canon *cough*.

I'm not going to buy an expensive warranty but I thought maybe, just maybe there is a $20 warranty that would give me an extra year.
12-08-2011, 11:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Me too, I was looking for that in Canada. However, since I use my VISA card which carries one year extended warranty making it 3 years. So, it is not that critical that I would need the extra warrant since by that time, the camera will be 3-years old into service. And by that time, I would likely have run the actuation count up to around 60-75k range, it would be time to get a new camera anyway. So, I figure that 2-year+1-year visa is not that bad anyway...

12-08-2011, 01:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Awww! Why didn't I think of that?! I should have paid with my MC, not cash. Boo.
12-13-2011, 12:01 PM   #6

International Warranty

QuoteOriginally posted by JenniferLeigh Quote
Americans get a good buy on a $20 extended warranty giving them 3 year protection.

I was just wondering if there was any extended warranties for Canadians, in and around the same price. Canadians already get a 2 year warranty, but an extra year for $20 would be a no-brainer for me. The company I purchased with didn't offer me an extended warranty.

I've looked into 3rd party options but find them really over priced with mixed reviews on service.
Hi! My name is Desiree and I am the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack Camera Worldwide Warranty. Please let me know if I can answer any specific questions about our warranty. I can be reached via email at helpdesk@mackcam.com.
Thank you,
Desiree