Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-11-2011, 01:47 AM   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
a) some solution so the GPS and a flash can be used.----thinkputting a GPS in the grip would be a good thing along with a 2nd memory card that can be used
either for additional capacity or a real time backup.

b) auto lense calibration with DA* glass at least.

c) A grip mount for a large articulated viewing screen

d) improved high ISO performance.

e) flash exposure bias simplified....

f) Stellar quality control..

12-11-2011, 05:51 AM   #62
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Can't really see anything that could make me upgrade the K-5 now. Now that I've changed the focusing screen there's one less thing to pull me towards an upgrade.

Ok, if I needed another body, and at the same time stumbled upon more money than I knew what to do with, then I would get the latest and greatest Well, unless it was FF - then I'd get another K-5.
12-11-2011, 06:52 AM   #63
Forum Member

I thought hard about buying the K5 simply because I didn't want to be dissatisfied 6 months later, but with the arrival of the K5 Pentax produced a camera that I don't think will be significantly improved on - I thought the same when I bought my MX 30 years ago.

The reasons are simple.

1 - 16 mpx is already more than any lens/situation is going to need - only pixel peepers using fixed primes at optimum aperture with the camera bolted to a bench with mirror locked up will see a difference. No doubt the next 'K' will soon get the new 24 mpx Sony sensor, a noisier and slower beast designed for the numbers game... Only full-frame cameras will do noticeably better, but just as I didn't shoot medium format 30 years ago, I'm not prepared to carry a medium format sized camera around today.

2 - Build quality and size is as good as it's going to get - there isn't going to be a smaller version.

3 - Speed - sheeesh 7 fps not fast enough?

4 - AF - the one area where no doubt things will improve, but to be honest I don't see me missing shots with the K5, I already only use it on the centre spot as I like the camera to focus on what I want, not something elsewhere.

5 - High ISO - The K5 is as good as I need - do I need the capacity to shoot 1/2000 sec in a darkened room? Nope.

So the K5 is a stayer - no doubt there will be other cameras that blow it away in spec, but I can't see any improvements in the pipeline that would make any difference to the quality of pictures I'll take.
12-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #64
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will upgrade when my K5 dies I'm still waiting for my first lockup, so not much hope that it will be soon

12-11-2011, 08:48 AM   #65

oh yeah, and a relatively significant larger viewfinder would do it. as well as that autofocus improvement, and pentax keep just about everything else the same.
12-11-2011, 09:03 AM   #66
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
the K-5 does everything i need and i never really feel that its has let me down... so no need to upgrade at all for probably at least 2 gens.
12-12-2011, 07:23 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
advanced video feature
I envy 5d mark II user not for photography aspect but for the more advanced video aspect

Last edited by liukaitc; 12-12-2011 at 07:47 PM.
12-13-2011, 03:24 AM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dh4412 Quote
oh yeah, and a relatively significant larger viewfinder would do it. as well as that autofocus improvement, and pentax keep just about everything else the same.
I think the viewfinder aspect is just a function of the APS-c sensor, don't think it can be made significantly larger without being less bright - it's just the best compromise. As for the autofocus - remember it's a screw drive from the body, which has the advantage of small lighter and cheaper lenses for a given price/quality and the ability to autofocus 20 year-old lenses - if you use the Pentax lenses with built in motors, especially the latest DC motors (18-135 for example) they are Canon quick. One day I fear the new K whatever will dispense with the screw drive..
12-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Geoff H Quote
One day I fear the new K whatever will dispense with the screw drive..
I would think/hope Pentax is smart enough to know the day they build a aps-c/FF camera without screw driven focusing is the day they have a camera that doesn't sell, because they've cut off almost all their existing customers.
12-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I would think/hope Pentax is smart enough to know the day they build a aps-c/FF camera without screw driven focusing is the day they have a camera that doesn't sell, because they've cut off almost all their existing customers.
I see a lot of fear in this and similar threads that try to predict future behavior of Pentax-Ricoh Imaging Corp (PRIC). Fear that Ricoh will kill Pentax (after spending a pile of money to acquire it). Fear that Ricoh will insist on making crappy cameras (although they have no history of doing so). Fear that the sky is falling, that the groundhog will see his shadow, that Santa Claus won't come to town, that it's all an Illuminati plot.

I don't get it. Ricoh shows every sign that they want to best Canon at imaging as they have in office machines. PRIC will *not* introduce incompatible gear that alienates existing customers. PRIC *will* introduce new gear that builds on existing strengths, and other gear that breaks new ground. Much of what we wish for will come; some won't, because it's not cost-effective to build.

It's possible that we're approaching The Final Generations of dSLRs, that future imaging devices will meld mirrored+mirrorless, still+video, 2D+3D in ways we can't yet imagine. Maybe some of those will be based on Pentax technology built upon a GXR platform. By releasing the M-mountor, Ricoh supports legacy lenses (and old M42s can be mounted on that). With one or more PK-mountors of various characteristics (sensor format etc) we could see all our dreams fulfilled.

What would I expect in the next flagship camera? A GXR2 body, APS-C & FF & 645 mountors, video & 3D/holo & IR mountors, etc. What would entice me? Depends on exactly what... FF+IR would be nice.
12-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
I see a lot of fear in this and similar threads that try to predict future behavior of Pentax-Ricoh Imaging Corp (PRIC). Fear that Ricoh will kill Pentax (after spending a pile of money to acquire it). Fear that Ricoh will insist on making crappy cameras (although they have no history of doing so). Fear that the sky is falling, that the groundhog will see his shadow, that Santa Claus won't come to town, that it's all an Illuminati plot.

I don't get it. Ricoh shows every sign that they want to best Canon at imaging as they have in office machines. PRIC will *not* introduce incompatible gear that alienates existing customers. PRIC *will* introduce new gear that builds on existing strengths, and other gear that breaks new ground. Much of what we wish for will come; some won't, because it's not cost-effective to build.

It's possible that we're approaching The Final Generations of dSLRs, that future imaging devices will meld mirrored+mirrorless, still+video, 2D+3D in ways we can't yet imagine. Maybe some of those will be based on Pentax technology built upon a GXR platform. By releasing the M-mountor, Ricoh supports legacy lenses (and old M42s can be mounted on that). With one or more PK-mountors of various characteristics (sensor format etc) we could see all our dreams fulfilled.

What would I expect in the next flagship camera? A GXR2 body, APS-C & FF & 645 mountors, video & 3D/holo & IR mountors, etc. What would entice me? Depends on exactly what... FF+IR would be nice.
You really like that Mountor idea don't you Rico

Mind you I have to admit I think it's a great idea (not sure it will ever be mainstream though)
12-13-2011, 04:00 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
advanced video feature
I envy 5d mark II user not for photography aspect but for the more advanced video aspect
I don't envy at all; I think it is too expensive a camera to use for the video aspect...
12-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #73
Veteran Member

advanced video feature

Pentax K5 + Panasonic GH2 > Canon 5Dii
12-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

advanced video feature
I like the video better on my k-5 way more than my 5D Mark II. So much smoother on the k-5 with the in camera stabilization. The controls are easier on the 5D but you can use your exposure compensation and lock button to do the same the same thing on the k-5.
12-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #75
Forum Member

1) Improved autofocus accuracy and speed.
2) Improved flash metering.
3) Separate, dedicated buttons for focus point selection.