Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
With the price of the K5 essentially under $1K - now, I have the cash sitting right here in the desk drawer - but its not burning a hole in my pocket. My current K20 is as solid as a rock and is serving me well. That's my delima. I am willing to wait and see what the K3 (or what ever its called) actually is, and make a decision. What I would like to see...[LIST][*]A unit as solid as the K20
That's about where I am. I have a K20D and K-x. Both have been solid, unlike the spotty reliability of the K-5 and K-r. I bought a K-5 and it was useless in tungsten light. I could have kept trying, but I didn't feel it was going to add much to my photography. I have money waiting for the next big thing. I'd be interested in FF, APS-C or FF mirrorless or a K-5 successor. At first I was dismissive of the Sony 24mp sensor, but it looks like it will match the 16mp in noise and DR. Now I'm thinking higher resolution would be interesting. Above all though, I need solid, reliable performance. I will not accept anything less.

Last edited by audiobomber; 12-14-2011 at 05:58 AM.
12-13-2011, 07:22 PM   #77
Veteran Member

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What he said.
12-14-2011, 12:48 AM   #78
Veteran Member

As much as I seriously love the K-5, I hate to say it, but better video function alone would be enough to make me upgrade. Manual video controls, more frame rate options, and a higher bit rate would do it for me. For the photo end, I have very little to complain about. AF improvements would be nice. But the sensor is just unreal. If I could really just have exactly the K-5, with AF improvements, and better video functionality, I would be pretty darn happy for quite some time.
12-14-2011, 06:21 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
As much as I seriously love the K-5, I hate to say it, but better video function alone would be enough to make me upgrade. Manual video controls, more frame rate options, and a higher bit rate would do it for me. For the photo end, I have very little to complain about. AF improvements would be nice. But the sensor is just unreal. If I could really just have exactly the K-5, with AF improvements, and better video functionality, I would be pretty darn happy for quite some time.
but if they gave you all that you wouldn't upgrade to the next one

(maybe i'm a cynic)

12-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #80

Now, please don't jump down my throat... I LOVE my K-5, but if they would just fix the reliability and QC issues and back it by a standard 3-year unlimited warranty... If they fixed its build quality I would switch in a heart beat.

I'll say it again, I LOVE my K-5, but I don't trust it to work all the time... I trust my K-x. I trust my Olympus cameras, Nikon... my 50 year-old Voigtländer Bessa II folder... but not this magical camera, which for me, is in so many ways the most brilliant camera I have ever used.

After that, FF would be nice...
12-14-2011, 02:53 PM   #81
Forum Member

I currently am a K-r user, seem to have one with no problems focusing; maybe its the conditions I use it under, but still I would love to have a K-5. I suspect there are a lot of people like me who find the price, even as much as it has dropped, a little too much for us considering I am new to Pentax and buying some lenses. Not saying it is not worth it. I think in the new models there needs to be a camera between the K-5 and the K-r. Some, but not all of the K-5 features in a body the size of the K-r with the current K-5 sensor and the user friendliness of the K-r, assuming the successor of the K-5 moves to more MP. Mainly though we need more reliable cameras. When you figure you got a good one and the odds of buying another Pentax being trouble-free is not good, it makes you hesitate.
12-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #82

Photos: Gallery
I understand the thrill of getting the newest and the latest. Nevertheless the truth is if you are happy with your current camera, you should not upgrade. Maybe until it breaks. Do not forget, by far the most important component in any camera is that thing just behind the viewfinder (i.e. you). It's so much better to invest in educating yourself than buying a new tool!

If there are 1 or 2 (little) things you are unhappy with in your camera and happy in general, again you should not upgrade. Remember, any camera will be a compromise between quality/price/size/features etc. Especially if these 1 or 2 things are from this (incomplete though wonderful) list of features: - Mega HD video with 100fps, ability to focus in total darkness, 1GP (1 GigaPixel sensor), Large format sensor in a point-and-shoot size body, GPS with lane assist, built-in satellite phone, built-in 40" LCD TV (articulated of course, built in lawn mower and of course a built-in rocket launcher.

This approach has saved me a ton of money.

A few extra tips to make your experience buying new camera more enjoyable. I have followed the following rules and have never regretted it. I have purchased many cameras (before I have realized why camera doesn't matter). I've never got a defective one, because I was following my simple rules. I was always happy with my purchase because I was following my simple rules. Here are these rules:

1. Do not buy a camera that was just released you will get all the possible problems with unfixed bugs, and all these QC issues many are talking about. Plus you overpay up to a factor of 2!
2. Do not wait for the newer model to be released so that you can buy it, buy whatever is available NOW. Why? See rule 1. The new model may have unfixed bugs etc, it will be overpriced and most of all, even newer model will be on the horizon by then, so you might end up waiting for the newest model forever. If you have postponed buying a camera for a while, most probably you don't need a camera at all. Save some money and don't buy a camera!
3. If you are unsure what camera to buy, make a list of features you necessarily need. If you are unsure which features you need, don't buy a camera, take a photography course instead. If your list of features rules out all existing cameras, you might want to reconsider the need for that built-in rocket launcher or lawn mower (or both).
4. Buy a camera way in advance. If you need a camera for Christmas, buying it end November is already too late. It takes time to adjust to new equipment.
5. If you want a good deal, buy a camera during the deals season which is normally Thanksgiving, before Christmas/End of Year and before the announcement of a newer model. Btw, right now is good time, because all these factors happen together. It's after Thanksgiving/Christmas/End of Year deals + there will be a big equipment show in January where new models are being expected to be announced.
6. If the price is very good, follow the TGTBT (too-good-to-be-true) rule. Buy from reliable stores (official dealers). If you don't, you end up paying more usually or getting nothing or getting a lemon. Right now Amazon, BH, Adorama rule. Check these 3 and you will have a great reference point to current LOWEST prices.
7. When you receive your camera and you think something is wrong with it, first try to see if the problem is in you, rather than with the camera. In 99% of unhappy experiences that's the case. Stop, read the manual, ask on the forum before jumping to conclusions. A very good idea is to take a photography course first too.
8. If you are still unhappy after following all these steps, maybe you are one of these people who are ALWAYS unhappy. Then you can always convince yourself that you would have been as unhappy with any other camera and keep the one you have.

Read these articles before buying anything:
Should You Upgrade?
Your Camera Doesn't Matter
It's Not About Your Camera
Equipment Acquisition

Good luck shopping!

P.S.: the comment is not referring to anyone in particular. Just my thoughts on the issue.

Last edited by vanyagor; 12-14-2011 at 04:07 PM.
12-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #83
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by vanyagor Quote
P.S.: the comment is not referring to anyone in particular. Just my thoughts on the issue.
Good to read since my plan is to pre-order the new camera and upgrade immediately. Did this with K-7 and K-5 and I'm still happy.
12-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #84

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Good to read since my plan is to pre-order the new camera and upgrade immediately. Did this with K-7 and K-5 and I'm still happy.
Whatever approach keeps you happy is the right one!
12-14-2011, 04:40 PM   #85
Veteran Member

Ron, we will all now pretend to be both surprised and interested that you want an APS-H body and that you have taken a moment to include that information in another thread!

On points 2-4, I agree. It's about time we need a new processor. More pixels would require one, of course, unless the camera takes a significant performance hit. I cannot imagine that.

I'd also like to see administrable fps. The gap between 2 fps and 7 fps is too great, particularly given the limited buffer size. I could use the ability to shoot no faster than I need to.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Well my ultimate upgrade would have a APS-H sensor with 16 megapixels at max and a stunning performance at hi-iso-settings.

For my K-5 replacement (I have two and one is Silver) I have the following wishes:

1) Sensor: looking at the sensor performance it can have the current 16 mp sensor or the new 24mp sensor. Both of them are good, but not making me to descide to swith both camera's (so I keep my K-5 Silver).
2) Electronics. If it runs on a PRIME III processor that is at least twice the speed of the PRIME II processor and supports UHS-I writingspeed I will replace my black K-5.
3) AF: If it has a descent performance/upgrade to being able of AF-c properly and better low light performance and no focus shift with certain light I will replace my black K-5.
4) SR: a better performing SR system would make me upgrade the black K-5.

Since I don't expect a better performing APS-C sensor at hi-iso-settings at this time there is no way that it will be meeting all my demands.

For a compact well performing APS-H sensor camera with all above mentioned improvements I would trade in both of my K-5's. I do hope they will make a Silver edition again.
12-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #86

There's a push both for and against tilt/stilt-swivel LCDs - Wired - Aleonx3 - Basset - Snofox - and more.... The "against" seems to be that it makes a camera heavier and bulkier, and as something else to go wrong, won't last...

If cameras are built to a reasonable quality standard - and Pentax DSLRs do seem to be - tilt-LCD, or even tilt-swivel, should last for years. If the Pentax DSLR with a tilt-swivel LCD was built to the standard of my over 3-year-old Canon SX10 bridge-zoom - their tilt-swivels should still be in the same unmarked-LCD and as-new tilt-swivel function as that SX10's...

Even if the DSLR was used as a take-everywhere camera in the end zip-pocket of a carry-bag as my SX10 is used - if somewhat less likely treatment for a DSLR.... The tilt-swivel mechanism, which has never been 'tightened' would still be "as-new" - like the unmarked LCD - though the rest of a DSLR treated like that, might not be...

That is - most folk would treat a DSLR rather more gently than I treat my SX10 - so if made properly, the tilt-swivel LCD would last even longer.

With the SX10 - the LCD can be set to face-inwards when closed - so the LCD is fully protected. Opening the LCD out (to the left) - acts as the switch from viewfinder to LCD. Good for getting to Menus - when on a Tripod, and for low-down Macro, etc. Closing it switches back to viewfinder for hand-held shots, with the LCD faced inwards against smudges and damage.

Those who want the LCD "flat" in the back of the camera and visible - can set that option, too.

I have a Fuji HS10 - 3" tilt-only LCD - works very well for Macro, Tripod, Menus, so on - but more annoying than "no-swivel" is that the LCD doesn't rotate to face inwards, protected for viewfinder use, and transporting around. I got a protective cover for it - but those seem to get a bit 'opaque' and need replacing every few months...

For a while, I had a K200D - really loved the camera, functions, LCD-readout on top (never had that on a camera before - excellent) - no Liveview - but a preview for on-tripod, etc. But that nice (too!) shiny rear LCD really worried me... Found out why DSLR folk, if not camera in hand - need to put them into a protective cover or bag... Even if the camera itself is, like the K200, weather resistant...

If the flat-on-back "LCD-vulnerable" K-R is the last Pentax with 4 x AAs option - and the K-? replacement does get at least a tilt / fold-inward LCD - but is Power-Pack propelled only - might put a lot of "moving-up" folk in a dilemma....

A nice 'usedy' K-7 from on-forum here looks more and more like a better buy.... Even if it does have a "flat" LCD like my old 2007 Fuji S2000HD...

Regards, Dave.
12-14-2011, 05:01 PM   #87
Veteran Member

Digital Lx/Mx/Kx or K2 with 24mp monochrome FF sony sensor with no AA (stolen from Digitalis but i'd be right behind him in line)
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM   #88
Veteran Member

just feel the current sony 16mp sensor is so good. it even outperform some FF sensor..and the new sony 24mp aps-c sensor does not really outperform the 16mp...so I really can not ask more for photography aspect right now..
actually everything is fine right now..burst speed is very good..focus speed and accuracy is good too...nice lcd screen..nice ergonomic...good high iso performance

that why I think only thing left for desire for me is the video aspect..there are many thing can be improved here..
12-14-2011, 06:14 PM   #89
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Faster buffer. USB 3.0. And NO tilt swivel screen. I can see that thing getting snagged on just about everything outdoors. Want T&S, get something else that offers it. Walk away from our rugged sh*t.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-14-2011 at 06:21 PM.
12-14-2011, 06:21 PM   #90
Veteran Member

The dual SD card thing is a good idea if you ask me. That's one of the things I do miss about my Fuji S7000 it did have dual card slots and it came in handy once in a while. An extra card slot didn't actually add much bulk really so I don't even think that would be an issue. I don't quite get why so many people want a flexible screen though. Seems iffy to me that idea. Too easy to break it if you accidentally drop a camera while it's in use that way?