Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2012, 09:37 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
The warranty in Canada from Pentax is 2 years also
it is but if he has it shipped to the US it is the 1 year international warranty

03-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Wola! Here is the outcome.

Hi all, thanks for your concerns. I have survived with my new K-5 bought from BestPricePhoto. Since the price was almost $200 cheaper than that from major outlets, I took the risk.

The first picture taken shows that the shutter count is 3. I have no reason to doubt this is a totally new camera. No sign whatsoever of use. I have also talked with PentaxUSA. They honor the warranty of the camera. They also honor the two year extension (for about $20). There is no shutter count limit on the warranty. Since my Kx has registered 100K shutter counts, I have no doubt that the extended warranty will be useful down the road.

So what is the catch?
You have to call them to verify the order. They would ask whether you are familiar with the camera, because they want to sell you stuff. But their sales people are pretty experienced and they know quickly whether you are ignorant about the camera and their pricing tricks. So I said no three or four times. The call lasted about 30 seconds.

What have I learned? Do not buy anything other than the body from them!!! That is the key!!! Would I take the risk again? It depends on how much I may be able to save and the possibility that I may return the camera. They charge a restocking fee, which is pretty bad in comparison with that of B&H. I guess that is how they survive.

BTW, they promised a small gift if I post a positive feedback.
03-08-2012, 03:44 AM   #33

I am glad that you got your camera, but I thought that the cameras go through a QA test which normally brings their shutter count up into the hundreds. Are you sure it only has a count of 3?
03-08-2012, 04:49 AM   #34
Inactive Account

In sum

So the watchword here is "Caveat Emptor." Face it, anything you buy over the internet, except from established companies like B&H, you're taking a risk. First thing you do when considering these "off the radar" sites is pull up the feedback. BestPricePhoto's ain't bad! And you did save a significant sum!

03-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by blind-bat Quote
I am glad that you got your camera, but I thought that the cameras go through a QA test which normally brings their shutter count up into the hundreds. Are you sure it only has a count of 3?
I have read that Pentax now zeros the shutter count after QA testing. You are right about the older cameras, they would have possibly hundreds on the shutter as delivered new.