Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2011, 03:25 AM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
The easy answer is YES. Pentax makes two dslr's and when one is going to discontinue to be replaced then offcource the other one is next. I think maybe in late spring or so or even just with photoKina. So no worry's.

12-13-2011, 04:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I wish you northern hemisphere people would stop using seasons to describe dates.. It's reversed down south here and your spring is our autumn. Why not just say 2nd quarter 2012 so we're all on the same page.
12-13-2011, 04:57 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I wish you northern hemisphere people would stop using seasons to describe dates.. It's reversed down south here and your spring is our autumn. Why not just say 2nd quarter 2012 so we're all on the same page.
Agreed! Is the earth flat too lol?
12-13-2011, 05:56 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TOUGEFC Quote
Agreed! Is the earth flat too lol?
I guess it must be if it's a page ;-p

12-13-2011, 06:24 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I guess it is like left handedness. I think about 90% of the population live north of the equator, so we talk in seasons and expect everyone to understand. Same with cameras, we design them for right handed, right eyed people, and expect the rest to use them.

actually, forget even quarters, just use months....
12-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Are also large chunks of tropics on this planet that essentially have nothing resembling spring-summer-autumn-winter, just wet+dry seasons at most, with gradations of hot vs hotter, dry vs drier, etc. 'Seasons' are for effete first-worlders.
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Given Pentax only has the Q,KR,K5 and 645D I would bet money on the K5 being the next in line to be discontinued
Likely replacement will be announced later in the year and it will be out for christmas.

But maybe they'll keep it around as a mid level camera and launch a step up along with the FF and replace the KR with K mount MILC

12-13-2011, 01:02 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
What I find fascinating is that the K-r has been discontinued just as Pentax arranged a deal with WalMart for various colors of the camera online.
I suspect this deal was to move inventory of the colored bodies in one deal. It may be as simple as someone looking at real inventory numbers (Ricoh) and deciding if they discontinue the k-r, they will be stuck with a bunch of non-traditional colored cameras. Just clearing the decks for the k-r replacement.

One of the things that really hurt Pentax during the Hoya years was the rapid degradation of retail relationships. So much so that Pentax essentially disappeared from retail brick & motar stores in the USA. It seems that Ricoh is going out of its way to start mending those relationships by being sensitive to what old inventory does to retailers. By clearing up the old stock they allow retailers to bring in the new model without losing money on the old one.
12-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Are Ricoh cameras found in U.S. stores?
12-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Given Pentax only has the Q,KR,K5 and 645D I would bet money on the K5 being the next in line to be discontinued
Likely replacement will be announced later in the year and it will be out for christmas.

But maybe they'll keep it around as a mid level camera and launch a step up along with the FF and replace the KR with K mount MILC
I don't think that k-5 will be discontinued soon (may be later in 2012), however, there could be a minor enhancement release with improved features (call it "super"). The k-5 has just started to gain some traction at a more favorable price point after a rocky start with a number of issues including the sensor stain. I think the reason the k-r is discontinued is primarily due to other factors such as sensor supply (Thailand flood) and other imminent features to improve in order to compete with other brands.

It is also due to the fact that mirrorless APS-C is becoming more popular at the entry or beginner level, which will likely take precedence over k-r (DSLR type) replacement . Also, the rumour (and strategy) of FF DSLR in the future will nicely fit in between k-5 and 645D (and its respective successors). I fully expect Pentax-Ricoh will remain to be a niche brand instead of the "me-too" brand. However, time will tell....

No matter what happens, my k10, k-7 and k-5 will still produce the best photos that I am capable of..
I still have my Nikon D70 and some glasses... but they are in "neglected" bunch now...
12-15-2011, 01:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
I think the reason the k-r is discontinued..
Except that the Kr HASN'T been officially discontinued, and WILL be sold by W@lMart. Announcements of its death are rather premature; cf Mark Twain.

But how can I argue with common knowledge? Sol revolves around the flat Earth. Climate change is all a hoax. The Kr is discontinued. Yada yada yada...

Yes, the Kx and Kr and 645D and even the Q will all be discontinued eventually. None of us has any idea when, nor with what replacements. Such is life.
12-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

My K5 was discontinued when I got the little x10......but I suspect it will be back in business soon, you can't keep your hands off a K5 for long.
Regards!
12-15-2011, 10:57 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Except that the Kr HASN'T been officially discontinued, and WILL be sold by W@lMart. Announcements of its death are rather premature; cf Mark Twain.

But how can I argue with common knowledge? Sol revolves around the flat Earth. Climate change is all a hoax. The Kr is discontinued. Yada yada yada...

Yes, the Kx and Kr and 645D and even the Q will all be discontinued eventually. None of us has any idea when, nor with what replacements. Such is life.
Rico, you are correct; there is no official words yet on k-r being discontinued (although even Helen from Adorama was quoting that once their stock are gone, there will be no more), I am just quoting that it could be other reasons such as sensor supply by Sony due to flood problem in Thailand. My comment is mainly on the k-5 and its potential successors.
12-15-2011, 09:27 PM   #29

Based on the release schedule of past models ... I'd guess there might be an announcement of a K-5 replacement around January 20th.

By the same logic, however, we should have gotten a replacement for the K-r in September and I haven't heard anything about that.
12-15-2011, 10:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a very reliable source who tells me that Pentax will indefinitely keep K-5 in production forever. The company is somewhat perplexed that despite its multitude of problems with K-5, there seem to be not only no outcries, but there actually is a fair number of die hard Pentax users who keep purchasing this camera. Because stained K-5s are now a bit of novelty, and them being traded at a higher resale value, Pentax-Ricoh are pondering K-5s, a limited edition model deliberately stained to be sold at a premium.

Thay are however keeping themselves busy with the kind of QC problems that they want to incorporate into the next model. One feature that they cannot reliably reproduce yet is the unexpected fall off of the lens mount off the body, making it extremely easy at first to infuriate valued Pentaxians because their expensive legacy has just been ruined beyond repair, only to accept such a hedius loss short time later since improvement in high ISO performance is to the point where it allows users to take pictures where there is actually no light whatsoever.