Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-12-2011, 01:47 PM   #1

K-5 function menu while in selected focus

Ok, don't tell me to RTFM.. it's been driving me nutz..

on my k20d, my camera is usually in selected focus mode and i use the 4 directional dial to pick focus.. if i need to change WB or flash mode...etc.. I just press Fn and then use the 4 directional dial..

this is gone in k-5.... it's driving me nuts.....

the way i know how to do it is to switch out of that mode and the 4 way become available then change what i want and then change back. but that seems stupid. I dig everywhere in the freaking menu and can't find it :\

please hit me over the head and tell me I overlook something..

thanks,

12-12-2011, 01:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Press and hold the 'ok' button in the middle of the 4 way switch, this will highlight the 4 options of flash, drive mode, white balance and display mode. Press whichever of the 4 way switches corresponds to the function to wish to change.

Viola!
12-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The ok button is a toggle switch... one click, it is for focus select, another click, it gives you the opportunity to select the WB, flash, setting and timer. It has been there since the k-7.
12-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
thank you!!!

12-12-2011, 03:28 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally I still find the current implementation on the K-5 really awkward and troublesome. With my K20D I know that white balance, drive mode, flash mode are definitely two button presses away. With the K-5 I have to raise the camera to my eye to see if the little icon is lit, and if it is I have to hold the OK button for 3 secs, change the setting, hold the OK button again, then back to shooting. The workaround I have right now is to flip the AF-point switch to one of the other two and do my setting change, then flip it back. It kinda works but it's still not as convenient as the Fn button. I wish they could let me map the OK button to do what the Fn button did. I don't need to center my AF point as much as changing WB with ease.

Anyone else has the same frustration?
12-12-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
The ok button is a toggle switch... one click, it is for focus select, another click, it gives you the opportunity to select the WB, flash, setting and timer. It has been there since the k-7.
With the difference that on the K-7 you don't have to hold the Ok button for a second or two; it toggles instantly, and the 4-way dial returns to AF point selection automatically when you exit the setting menu. One not-so-small thing Pentax screwed up a bit with the K-5, IMHO.
12-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
With the difference that on the K-7 you don't have to hold the Ok button for a second or two; it toggles instantly, and the 4-way dial returns to AF point selection automatically when you exit the setting menu. One not-so-small thing Pentax screwed up a bit with the K-5, IMHO.
Actually, I think they fix the minor inconsistency in k-7. With k-5, you can only move the focus point when the four triangles show up. To do that you have to press and hold the OK button until the four triangles appear (or disappear). With the k-7, it is not consistent.... and you may move the focus point when the four triangles are not there. At least that is what I get from my k-5 and k-7.

12-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm in the group that thinks the K20d was better at this. It's a minor PITA with the K-5, and one that comes up all the time, which makes it a major PITA.
12-12-2011, 05:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Actually, I think they fix the minor inconsistency in k-7. With k-5, you can only move the focus point when the four triangles show up. To do that you have to press and hold the OK button until the four triangles appear (or disappear). With the k-7, it is not consistent.... and you may move the focus point when the four triangles are not there. At least that is what I get from my k-5 and k-7.
If they had the four-triangle icon displayed on the top LCD I might not be so annoyed, but right now I find it a very frustrating and annoying affair, especially when it could be fixed so easily. You'd expect them to have at least carried the K-7 approach if not improved it.

1. Walk into new room, time to change white balance. Need to take a group shot, set up tripod, time to turn on timer.

2. Umm, I wonder whether I was in the AF point select mode or not

3. Press four-way controller, nothing happens

4. Curse. Hold OK button

5. Press four-way controller button, change settings

6. Hold OK button

7. AF point has moved, reset it back to where it was before

8. After 20 seconds of fiddling, get back to shooting
12-12-2011, 06:05 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Darren, I think you just haven't gotten used to the ergonomics...
I moved from the K20, K7 to K5 and after a brief moment of use have not found any problems. All a matter of adapting, some are better at it, some take longer.
12-13-2011, 07:24 AM   #11

Original Poster
i mean i look at the back, there's CLEARLY a fking space for a Fn button... I got it working now but it's still an annoyances. I guess we just have to live with it.. That and the new SD slot compartment feel cheap. I miss my flippydy switch to open like the k20d .