Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2011, 08:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
This is honestly one of the biggest loads of horse hockey ever spread across the Internet. You'll even hear seasoned professionally state this is required, but it is all anecdotal FUD (Fear ,Uncertainty and Doubt). There is no concrete evidence to back up such claims. I've formatted cards across nikon, canon, DSLRs and point & shoots for years and never had a problem with regards to compatibility.

Memory cards and current cameras use a well founded standard that is not affected by brand or model of camera.
Think about it... if the standards were not followed, would your computer be able to read the card when you go to transfer your photos? No, of course not.
No one is going to stray from the standards that everyone relies upon.

Format it on your computer, or by another camera...
The ONLY issue I've seen has been with using a card with more memory than the camera could handle (such as an 4G card with a ten year old camera that only handles 1G)... in which case it may re-partition the card to the smaller size.
This is mildly difficult to fix, and formatting in-camera can not fix. Regardless, the resulting state is still not incompatible with newer cameras nor is it permanent -- just need special care to regain the partitioned areas.

One note, some brands create extra folders or leave minor cruft behind. It is not a bad idea to reformat to clean up the extra stuff and give yourself an extra photo or two... but it won't reduce corruptions issues.

Anyway, it is far more likely the card was corrupted either by freak static charge, was defective, perhaps you bought one those "ebay specials" for $.01 a ton, or perhaps it was a counterfeit branded card.

As suggested, you can try some recovery software. If you're lucky, only the file system itself got a bad tick and lost where the files were located. The images themselves may be intact.

... and stay with name branded memory cards from Reliable Sources.
BTW, "Transcend" is relatively inexpensive but has a good reputation. Been using 8G & 16G versions of their cards for a couple of years without error.
I have stuck a half full card from my K10D into my K5 and used it without issues. One thing that has caused problems for me is mixed files on a card can sometimes cause a computer problem if it can't read the file. I had this happen in a Ritz photo kiosk once when I tried to get some quick prints made. Because I had PEF files on the card, the kiosk crashed and they had to reboot it. That was their problem, not mine. Buy a new card, they are cheap. I also use PNY cards and 8gb cards are currently $9.99 at BJ's and 4gb are $14.99 for 2. At those prices you can just keep your cards after using them once and you have a backup system.

12-17-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
Not sure what effect the second folder would have but it is interesting. I rarely take enough photos on a card to force that to happen... shooting RAW doesn't often allow enough files to make the second folder necessary. So I can't really say how reliable it is.
I know I have a few times and never had an issue, but it has not happened often.

The K5 allows you to forcibly create a new folder.
Can you see if that reproduces the problem?

My guess is that it is the number of photos that causes the second folder to be created, not actually the act of creating the second folder.
i.e. your card(s) have some error when more full.
With my K10D, a second folder was never created until the first folder reached a certain size (big). Interestingly, with my K5 a seperate folder seems to be created for each day. This is regardless of the size of the card being used.
I'm thinking that I should reset all features in the K5 (and determine/upgrade the firmware)?...
12-17-2011, 06:58 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
After reading this, I am fairly certain it is the card! I have used more than 10 memory cards though out the years and about 4 months ago I bought a PNY 16 gb card that was for sale at best buy. I have had the same problems. About 75% of the time it works and my pictures are saved correctly, but about 25% of the time when I put the card it my computer the pictures are simply gone, even after previewing them on my camera. I emailed them for a refund but unfortunately could not find me receipt so I was stuck with the card. I have a feeling that a batch of their cards are somehow faulty or something. I no longer use the card for fear that I will lose pictures. I would try emailing them as well about the issue and see if you can get a refund.
12-17-2011, 10:37 PM   #19
Veteran Member

K-x Recommended Memory Cards | Pentax Support

QuoteQuote:
Q: Which SD (SDHC) Memory Cards are recommended for the K-x?

A: You should be able to use most SD (SDHC) cards in your camera. However, while Pentax does not guarantee compatibility with any particular manufacturer or model, we have seen consistent compatibility with the following SD/SDHC cards:

Panasonic *SD Memory Card – Capacities: 512MB to 2GB *SDHC Memory Card – Capacities: 4GB to 32GB

Toshiba *SD Memory Card – Capacities: 512MB to 2GB *SDHC Memory Card – Capacities: 4GB to 32GB

SanDisk *SD Memory Card – Capacities: 512MB to 2GB *SDHC Memory Card – Capacities: 4GB to 32GB

*As of August 2009

Note: When recording a movie, a *Class 6 or faster SD (SDHC) Memory Card is recommended for uninterrupted recording.
Note: ”Recommended” denotes only that the operation of the product has been checked by PENTAX and in no way constitutes a guarantee to customers that the product is suited to their requirements.
Same would apply to the K-5

12-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by beaumont Quote
Interestingly, with my K5 a seperate folder seems to be created for each day.
This is a camera setting. Set up screen 2 on the K-5. If set to 'date' a new folder is created each day. If not then a new folder is created when the maximum # of images are in the folder, I think this is 500.