Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2011, 03:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Considering upgrade from K-r to K-5

I'm a happy K-r owner since September of this year.

I have bought a DA 16-45, an A 50 1.4 and a DA-L 55-300, which have (somewhat) sated my LBA for now (well i could use a UWA Prime such as the Samyang 14 2.8 but that is another story ).

However I got to play with my friend's Canon 7D and i'm quite jealous of its capabilities.

The K-5 is available until the end of the year for 750€ here in France, 100€ cash-back included.

I keep telling myself: that is such a cheap price for such a great camera, which would give my friend's Canon a serious run for its money.

Weight, size and handling of the K-r and the K-5 look quite similar, so in the end it really comes down to image quality.

Would I witness a really big increase in IQ, especially in low-light and high ISO if I upgraded to the K-5 ?

Thanks in advance for your help.

12-19-2011, 03:50 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, the image quality is a lot better- you'll see about an extra stop of dynamic range and less noise.

Don't be fooled by the K-5's small size, though- although it's not much bigger, it feels a LOT better than the K-r when you use and hold it (IMO).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-19-2011, 02:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Matchete Quote
I'm a happy K-r owner since September of this year.

I have bought a DA 16-45, an A 50 1.4 and a DA-L 55-300, which have (somewhat) sated my LBA for now (well i could use a UWA Prime such as the Samyang 14 2.8 but that is another story ).

However I got to play with my friend's Canon 7D and i'm quite jealous of its capabilities.

The K-5 is available until the end of the year for 750€ here in France, 100€ cash-back included.

I keep telling myself: that is such a cheap price for such a great camera, which would give my friend's Canon a serious run for its money.

Weight, size and handling of the K-r and the K-5 look quite similar, so in the end it really comes down to image quality.

Would I witness a really big increase in IQ, especially in low-light and high ISO if I upgraded to the K-5 ?

Thanks in advance for your help.
I am comparing a friend's 7D and 16-35/2.8 lens combo with my k-5 with 12-24/4, I am happy to say that the one who is jealous is not me, his combo is more expensive, no SR and very bulky. There may not be a 'lot' of increase in IQ but the ergonomics are far better with loads of features not found in the k-r.
12-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey, where did my reply go?

Hmmm......

I just upgraded and its worth it. K-r was nice - K5 is nicer. And I am really looking forward to the first rainy day that my son is playing soccer this season

12-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Just sold my K-r, and bought my precioussss K-5

Battery is charging, and I have a shooting session planned tonight in Paris with my friend who owns a 7D, I can't wait !