Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My K-5 is on its way!

Yep ... another "I'm very excited because my K-5 is on its way" thread. I won't get it until just after Christmas but it's on its way.

I didn't think I would ever be able to afford one but I got an unexpected $1000 from the sale of two tractors from my Dad's estate. He was a farmer. He's been gone for three years but I feel like he's still taking care of me. It was his Minolta SLR that got me interested in photography so many years ago.

Can't wait to dig in to learn how to use the K-5. I'm not technical so that part is not much fun for me. Wish I had a mentor. It's much easier to learn that way than reading the manual. Anyway, I'm very excited and can't wait to see what I can do with this camera. I'm upgrading from a K-2000 but will keep my trusty K-2000 because I love that camera. I plan to take the K-5 to Africa and Antartica. The weather sealing will come in handy!

12-21-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations!!
12-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks! Forgot to mention that I ordered it from Amazon because that was the cheapest larger retailer I found. I wonder if B&H or Adorama would have matched. Moot point since it's on its way.
12-21-2011, 01:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian

I hope to join you in a month or so - fingers crossed that one of our sponsors here will offer a post-holiday deal.
Looking forward to mine too. We've no doubt you will be enjoying yours, this is clearly a hard camera to dislike

12-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Nice. Enjoy. Followed your thread with some interest as to what you would end up doing for your Africa safari. Good choice to go for the new body IMHO. I think the 55-300 will serve you well on the K-5.

Wow, Antartica also in your sights...! Now that sound like another level of travel.
12-21-2011, 01:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
Nice. Enjoy. Followed your thread with some interest as to what you would end up doing for your Africa safari. Good choice to go for the new body IMHO. I think the 55-300 will serve you well on the K-5.

Wow, Antartica also in your sights...! Now that sound like another level of travel.
Yes... the timing could not have been better for my upcoming travel. I'm quite happy with the 55-300 so I think I'll do fine with what I have with the K-5. You must get to take photos of African wildlife quite a lot? Let me know of any tips! I'm over the moon excited about the possibility. I'm a bit concerned about having enough batteries and being able to charge them every night. But, I will have 2 cameras and I know from experience that my K2000 can take a LOT of photos on 4 AA's.
12-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your battery might outlast your SD cards, so checkout your storage capacity as well. The K-5 is memory hungery especially if you shot RAW+.

I do get more opportunities than some, but am by no means an expert. Cape Town is the furthest city from the main wildlife centres.

One thing to bear in mind is the harsh sun during the day if it is not rainy season (both for your skin and photo light)

12-22-2011, 01:33 AM   #8

Congrats! I got mine today with a battery grip and an extra Li-ion battery.
12-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Shot808 Quote
Congrats! I got mine today with a battery grip and an extra Li-ion battery.
I'm thinking about a battery grip too. I've never gone that route, but with the safari coming up, it's tempting.
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Got my K-5 today - it was held up a bit because of the holidays. I'm charging my battery now. It's the first time I've actually seen a K-5. Has that solid as a Jeep feel that I love. It's not *that* much bigger than my K2000 (Km) - also like that. Can't wait to try it out.. only wish I had a new lens too!