Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
See k-5 in a Japanese drama..ha...

This guy is the main character. bascially he is a detactive..so he brings his k-5 a lot with him.....I find we can see his k-5 in every ep and with the red pentax logo on the strap..it is quite eye attracting..at least to a pentax user like me....

but will a mirrorless being more beneficial for his job..ha...
by the way is the brand of any product not suppose to be show in TV show??

Last edited by liukaitc; 06-02-2013 at 12:04 PM.
12-25-2011, 09:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All I can say...

All I can say is that he must be killing his neck by using the stock neck strap. I couldn't stand mine.

Also, I am pretty sure there is a whole industry concerning TV show and movie production that deals with product placement. Pentax/Ricoh or Pentax/Hoya may even had to pay the producers to have their products used and exposed. Also, I am pretty sure that the reverse could be true as well. Lawyers, financial officers, agreements, contracts, etc.

Last edited by lammie200; 12-25-2011 at 11:59 AM.
12-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It certainly appears that Pentax is finally gaining some marketing traction. Product placement like that does not happen by accident.

12-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent!

12-25-2011, 11:26 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Yes, unless the show producers are partial to Pentax (i.e. they wanted to show Pentax specifically), they probably went fishing for who would like to pay them the most to have their camera be used on their show. Like on the show Dexter on Showtime, when shooting crime scene photos, you can always see it is a Nikon.

The most blatant product placement in the US is on the shows of the USA network -- Burn Notice, White Collar, etc. They always have a scene where they take a moment to explain what a great car they are driving (usually in a chase scene) and to show some great feature. And then on the commercial, there is a commercial for that car. And they always have tight close-ups of other specific brand-name products. And did you know that no one in the world uses laptops other than Apple? No one on TV anyway -- Apple makes sure of that -- you see that logo on the back of every laptop screen on television it seems...
12-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What show is this? I like watching Japanese dramas.

Edit, never mind, your photo filenames had the answer:
Sengyou Shufu Tantei Watashi wa Shadow
http://asianmediawiki.com/Sengyou_Shufu_Tantei_~Watashi_wa_Shadow

Last edited by sjwaldron; 12-25-2011 at 11:42 AM.
12-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I saw a National Geographic clip on TV recently about one of their leading wildlife photographers. You guessed it, he was using a Pentax K5. I was rather amazed. Good to see though.

12-25-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Product placement like that does not happen by accident.

I don't know much about Japanese TV, but if it's anything like US shows, you're absolutely right. Every single product is placed there for sponsorship reasons.
12-26-2011, 05:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

I call it "stealth advertising", - cigaret companies were good at it.
I think cigaret placements are outlawed in Australia now. Not 100% sure but you never see it in Australian productions anymore.

Greetings
12-28-2011, 10:27 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I watched the entire show. He does carry around the K-5 a lot, but they have the Q in there in a few scenes. It's cool to see our gear in a dorama. On a related note, one of my life goals is to be in Japanese Drama(s). I'd need to go back there and improve my Japanese a lot though! haha
12-28-2011, 10:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

A fully-loaded LX was once in a comedy with Richard Dreyfus and a then new Rosie O'Donnell.
12-28-2011, 01:29 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
And did you know that no one in the world uses laptops other than Apple? No one on TV anyway -- Apple makes sure of that -- you see that logo on the back of every laptop screen on television it seems...
The guys on Big Bang Theory have Alienware laptops.
12-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
The guys on Big Bang Theory have Alienware laptops.
Interesting, cause that show is about them being smart geeks, isn't it? Might actually be a conscious choice instead of given to the highest bidder. Or do they complain about them or discuss specific capabilities sometimes? If a particular product is important to the plot, you see more diversity. I see Apples all the time, but they never mention it -- they always get that frontal shot of the character looking at the screen so the back of the lid is facing the viewer with the Apple logo. I did see a Dell laptop in a movie (Limitless) the other day.
12-28-2011, 02:17 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nope, the brand is never mentioned on BBT. And they usually change or obscure other logos. The will mention consoles and game titles, though that's part of the story line.

It's somewhat amusing when a show works the placement into dialog in a sarcastic or over-obvious manner, though.
12-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sjwaldron Quote
I watched the entire show. He does carry around the K-5 a lot, but they have the Q in there in a few scenes. It's cool to see our gear in a dorama. On a related note, one of my life goals is to be in Japanese Drama(s). I'd need to go back there and improve my Japanese a lot though! haha
wa...u finished so fast..
they have pentax Q in there? which ep?
I only watched a few ep (because this drama is not really my taste), so did not see Q....