Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Trying to get to the bottom of K5 video ticking

After having my Christmas videos ruined by the ticking and static noises captured by the K-5, I thought I'd start another thread on it.

The once-per-second ticking appears to be a playback problem - if a file suffers the once-per-second ticking noise in Windows Media Player, it sometimes plays without the ticking in another player, such as VLC.

However if the file has a continuous static noise, it seems to happen regardless of what player it is played back in, making me think the K-5 is recording it into the video. One would think though that if the K-5 was introducing static noises, it would happen with every video file and not just random ones.

Any further thoughts on this?

12-26-2011, 06:30 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sebberry Quote
However if the file has a continuous static noise
Does it sound like tape hiss?.
Edit: yes I am old.
12-26-2011, 06:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Do a search, this has been discussed before. Codec issue.
12-26-2011, 06:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Codec issue 100%

12-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, codec for ticking. What about the hissing?. Or did I miss something?.
12-26-2011, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

ticking sound in video

Your problem is that you have your auto horizon turned on. Make sure that both your shake reduction and auto horizon are turned off. I was experiencing the same problems.
12-26-2011, 08:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's done it with the SR turned off, I'll try it without the horizon indicator off too.

I don't think it's a codec issue - it makes the static/clicking noise when playin back in-camera.

12-27-2011, 12:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

In a near silent scene I believe the only way of not picking up the sound from the SR is using an external microphone. The SR can be audible even if it's shut off, so an external microphone or lots of other noises (which turns down the internal amplifier) is necessary.
12-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's not the SR noise from what I can tell. I know what that sounds like and have heard it occasionally in the video but this is very different.
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Here's a video I took some months ago as I haven't uploaded Christmas videos yet...

It's not the wind noise overloading the mic, this is the same noise picked up indoors in a reasonably quiet room. You can hear it better in the second half of the video as the static/crackly noise.
12-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Your problem is that you have your auto horizon turned on. Make sure that both your shake reduction and auto horizon are turned off. I was experiencing the same problems.
I went back to a video taken with a longer lens to test your theory.

During rapid movements I can clearly make out the SR mechanism functioning - in the video it sounds just like it does when you hear it during a photo. It's that dull rubbing noise of the sensor moving about.

The static noise is very different.

The static noise is present in some videos, not others.
The static noise is not the SR at work

All videos were taken with the SR and horizon indication turned on, however not all videos have the static noise.

The once-per-second popping noise seems like a codec issue as it is not present in some other players. The continuous static noise is heard in players where the once-per-second popping noise is not.
12-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Ok, that was something else.
I can only say that I don't get that noise with my K5.
12-27-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
Ok, that was something else.
I can only say that I don't get that noise with my K5.
It's a strange one.

Doesn't matter what card I use
File size doesn't seem to make a difference

I can shoot two videos back-to-back, one will have the noise, the other doesn't.
12-27-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I noticed that the exposure was changing during the video, could it have something to do with that?
(Personally I have "Movie Aperture Control" set to "fixed" and pretty much always use the AE-L button to lock exposure before shooting.)
12-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I just shot a couple of test videos in my living room with aperture control set to auto and there was no static noise.