Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #1

Is it a good time to buy K-5?

What is the chance that pentax will release new product in 2012?

12-27-2011, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Any time is a good time to buy a K5! I don't have a crystal ball, but obviously a Kr replacement can't be far away.
Who knows about a K5 replacement? In the normal course of things, one would be due early to mid 2012, but Ricoh might slow down things for the next release to tighten up on quality control. (If I was the new owner, that's what I would do!)
12-27-2011, 02:12 PM   #3

The K5 is a great camera, I've seen some low prices around and wouldn't hesitate to get one now. I'm very pleased with mine, the new sensor is a big leap up from the one in the K7 and the AF is also better. This is the first digital camera that Pentax has made that to my eyes is equal to my medium format Pentax 645Nii in image quality.
12-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
any time is a good time to buy the K-5, or any camera that you would like to have. If you want to wait to see what Pentax will bring in 2012 as of a new body, you can keep on waiting. As when they bring it out, you already knwo there will be a new one in the makings, which will be better again (so they say), and you might start to wonder, hhhhmm should I buy it or wait for the next one.. And will the new one be so much better than the K-5. I do not believe that. Yes for the gearheads that will look at every picture on pixel level it will be. But for normal use, you will not see a huge difference.

12-27-2011, 04:35 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I once bought a K100D when I was between K10D and K-7. I loved that camera, despite K-7 having all new features, etc. With K-5, I think Pentax has reached the right balance between the AF (the biggest complaint of Pentax shooters) and a great overall image quality. Pair it with good lens(es) and you shouldn't worry about a new camera for at least a couple of years. I know I won't.
12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The K-5 is one of the best, if not the best, APS-C format cameras presently. Prices has never been better. Let me answer with:

Rough translation from Danish: "When does a Tuborg taste the best? Everytime!" (Tuborg = Danish beer)
12-28-2011, 05:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
The K-5 is one of the best, if not the best, APS-C format cameras presently. Prices has never been better. Let me answer with:

Rough translation from Danish: "When does a Tuborg taste the best? Everytime!" (Tuborg = Danish beer)
Ha...ha... you made my day with this one

TS, its a good time if the price is right for you.
The cycle of a newer camera in the works is continuous. The new model is 'old' by the time we lay hands on it.
Here in Singapore, a K5 body is only ~US$980, I can't think of a better time to buy one.
New camera is probably at least 2 months from announcing and maybe 3 months to shelf, so you have 3 months with K5 as the 'latest'.
K5 is far better than any of the previous Pentax DSLR I've used (K100D; K7). A big leap forward in all respects (AF; features; Dynamic range; Noise control). It can easily last a user 2-3years with its features and performance.

12-28-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by nustone Quote
What is the chance that pentax will release new product in 2012?
My guess is 100 %.

And still it is a good time to buy a K-5.