Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #16
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
lightroomkillertips.com/2010/lightroom-exposure-vs-brightness/
I think that your link proves my point.
"Brightness" slider affects mostly midtones keeping higlights and shadows relatively unchanged, while "exposure" slider should change everything equally (it is substitute for increasing or decreasing exposure time in camera), so it is obvious that it affects highlights more that the brigness slider. From what I can see adobe's "exposure" slider tends to affect lighter parts of the image more than darker ones, so this may be a reason of all this misunderstanding.
It seems this was corrected in Lightroom 4 beta.

This is how I understand it but I'm in no way an expert on this, so if I'm wrong please correct me!

01-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by salceson Quote
while "exposure" slider should change everything equally (it is substitute for increasing or decreasing exposure time in camera), so it is obvious that it affects highlights more that the brigness slider. From what I can see adobe's "exposure" slider tends to affect lighter parts of the image more than darker ones, so this may be a reason of all this misunderstanding.
That's the part you got wrong, exposure was made to work this way.

http:// livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS31972031-...7EFD55E05.html

Exposure Sets the overall image brightness, with a greater effect in the high values. Adjust the slider until the photo looks good and the whites are at the right level. Use Recovery to bring highlight values down.

As it says, th adjustment exposure is used to adjust the whites.
In lightroom 4 this function is now called white.
And what was brightness is now called exposure.

really just compare them.
01-10-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Now I seem to understand this finally.
"Exposure" before Lightroom 4 was really setting the white point. Now it is sets what the name suggests that is the exposure.

QuoteQuote:
As it says, th adjustment exposure is used to adjust the whites
true, but it's very misleading

QuoteQuote:
In lightroom 4 this function is now called white.
Yes, this time it is named properly. "Whites" set the white point, "blacks" set the black point and "exposure" sets... exposure

QuoteQuote:
And what was brightness is now called exposure.
In lightroom 4 "exposure" slider instead of adjusting white point adjusts actual exposure ("brightness" is a diffrent story as it affects mainly midtones)

Last edited by salceson; 01-10-2012 at 11:06 PM.
01-11-2012, 02:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Name:  k5 shadow detail.jpg
Views: 1074
Size:  43.5 KB

I was doing some family shots for a friend of mine the other day and my wireless trigger was playing up (if it moved slightly on the hot shoe it stopped working).

So anyway while I had lots of decent shot's of him, out of curiosity I picked one of the almost pure black files, Put +3.45ev, +100fill light and +170 brightness with no noise reduction at all.

I think this is a good example of the k5 dynamic range and also the final shot which I spent more time on looks better and made a lovely print

Last edited by Usuqa; 01-11-2012 at 06:17 AM.
01-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
that's just insane

My K-x seems to be far far far from being able to do this...
01-11-2012, 03:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Usuqa, good save.

Here's another K-5 save of similar magnitude. It's 10 months old, but still a great example. Reposted with the permisson of Sir Bazz from the www.whirlpool.net.au photographic forum.
Testing out my new Opteka mini softbox which arrived in today's mail and fired off a shot before the flash had time to fully recharge.
Straight out of the camera:

And after some Photoshop ACR adjustments, (+4 EV and +120 Brightness).

And then a crop, NR, levels and USM in PS CS5

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 01-11-2012 at 04:25 AM.
01-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Another example from Sir Bazz. This time, an intentional underexposure test.

K5, 1/125s, f/16, ISO80

+4 EV boost, 50 Fill Light, +50 Brightness, +25 Contrast, +2 Black.

Final image

Dan.

01-11-2012, 06:20 AM   #23
Veteran Member

very nice ...

Its amazing what the k5 hides in its shadows and works great on well exposed shots too.
01-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Oh....

Even Adobes says so...
livedocs.adobe.com/en_US/Lightroom/1.0/help.html?content=WS31972031-DD1E-4a1d-8F6C-5A87EFD55E05.html

Exposure Sets the overall image brightness, with a greater effect in the high values. Adjust the slider until the photo looks good and the whites are at the right level. Use Recovery to bring highlight values down.

This isn't my understanding. Exposure used to be exposure, i.e. a change of effective iso. It is normal that whites seem to be affected more. Because whites clip first.

AFAIK, LR4 doesn't support true exposure adjustments anymore.
01-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This isn't my understanding. Exposure used to be exposure, i.e. a change of effective iso. It is normal that whites seem to be affected more. Because whites clip first.

I just tried the same image in lr4 beta and it seemed to do a much better job than lr3
01-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #26

Was thinking about this only yesterday as I had my first play around with a manual lens and found exposure to be a bitch.

So all this is done in PP? Rediculous...
01-14-2012, 08:45 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

There is an extra line under the part that i quote but didn't add it because it might be confusing, here is the full.

Photoshop Lightroom

QuoteQuote:

Exposure values are in increments equivalent to f‑stops. An adjustment of +1.00 is similar to increasing the aperture 1 stop. Similarly, an adjustment of –1.00 is similar to reducing the aperture 1 stop.
Any way just look at the histrogram when you move the exposure slider, you can see what it effects and what not.

ps. extra tip you can slide in the histrogram if you want, click on the part you want to move in the histogram and slide.