Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2012, 04:34 PM   #1

Pentax Video Update*

Hey Guys,

I work a lot with manual lenses using the Pentax hack on a K7 for video work... so apologies for putting this in the K5 forum; locking the aperture settings, shutter, ISO etc from the User mode into the video mode. This may or may not be new but I think I have discovered a way of applying this fix to all automatic lenses.

Simply hold the AE-L button down, rather than pressing this once to lock it, whilst you turn the dial from User to Movie and voilą! The exposure is locked as soon as you hear the beep. I've tried it on 2 lenses multiple times and it works a treat!

This may or may not be new - I think it is and it has just opened the camera up for me a lot being able to use lenses with Autofocus and Automatic aperture control.

Hope this helps someone as much as it will help me!

Scott

Last edited by mrtickles; 01-02-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Better title...
01-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't understand, what's the difference from locking the exposure by a short press on the AE-L whenever you want in video mode?
01-03-2012, 05:16 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
aaand you cant set the ISO manually on the K5...
01-03-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
aaand you cant set the ISO manually on the K5...
How if i may ask.

01-03-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Wow, I'm not following any of this. I have a K-5 and am looking to experiment with video mode with it. Do the exposure locking "tricks" for the K-7 listed in the video forum work the same way on the K-5? If anyone can point me to any information on the basics of what can be set in video mode for the K-5, I would appreciate it. Thanks.
01-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #6

Original Poster
Maybe there's a slight difference but this works well in low light situations, when the camera automatically ramps up the ISO. If you set this in the user mode to something more bearable you can reduce the noise on the recorded image.

As far as I was aware the same manual lens hack works from the K7 to the K5. On the K7 in user mode, once you have attached a manual lens you simply set option C>6>38 to use aperture ring '2' and from the user mode if you lock the settings they transfer through to the Movie mode.

Whoever discovered this was a genius!

Last edited by mrtickles; 01-03-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Bad english...