Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K-5 Warranty Question

Just curious, if you buy a new K-5 from say, Adorama, do you have to register it in order to get support from Pentax/Adorama if and when something goes wrong with it? I purchased mine more than a month ago in late November, followed by their 2-year warray extension about 3 weeks ago.

This information is probably buried somewhere inside the box but to be honest, I haven't touched anything out of that box except the camera, battery and its charger.

Thanks.

01-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Go online...

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
Just curious, if you buy a new K-5 from say, Adorama, do you have to register it in order to get support from Pentax/Adorama if and when something goes wrong with it? I purchased mine more than a month ago in late November, followed by their 2-year warray extension about 3 weeks ago.

This information is probably buried somewhere inside the box but to be honest, I haven't touched anything out of that box except the camera, battery and its charger.

Thanks.
I remember registering the camera online. I looked for ways to register the extended warranty but didn't find anything. I think that purchase receipts are what Pentax uses to track the valid warranty period.

There were some vague discussions about buying the warranty within 30 days (or something) of purchasing the camera. I honestly bet that it won't make a difference as long as it was purchased before the initial warranty period expired. I could be wrong though.

Hope that helps.
01-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a LOT of information on this in this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5-forum/167660-just-reminder-pen...anty-19-a.html
01-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I am not paying Pentax or anyone 20 dollars to fix my defective camera--they can shove it.

01-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zane Quote
I am not paying Pentax or anyone 20 dollars to fix my defective camera--they can shove it.

Sorry if you are having trouble with your camera. If its defective then send it in for warranty work or return it, if you are within either the warranty period or the return period. As for paying Pentax - have you priced extended warranty's at all? $20 is very inexpensive, comes with a full cleaning during the period, and extends the original warranty to 3x its original length.
01-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EsBee Quote
do you have to register it in order to get support
The paperwork on the extended warranty says "Yes". However when you go to the website listed on the paperwork there is no way to register it. The thread referenced above has more detail but in short you should register the camera but the extended warranty does not need registered. Just keep it safe along with the sales receipt for both the warranty and the camera to prove date of purchase.
QuoteOriginally posted by Zane Quote
Seriously? $20 for an extended warranty on a $700 camera? Which includes a cleaning/adjustment? Normal "extended" warranties from places like BB are about 15% of purchase price. As far as I'm concerned that is the best $20 I ever spent and I hope I never use it.
01-07-2012, 07:29 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
There's no real requirement to register your K5 or the extended warranty. When I sent my K5 into CRIS for repair they wanted copies of all my purchase paperwork and when I got it all back it seems like they had tied my K5's serial number to the serial number on my extended warranty card.

For Zane, all I can tell you is $20 for the extended warranty is about the cheapest insurance you'll ever buy. Considering all the anecdotal experiences reported with this model I might even call it an investment

09-15-2012, 10:05 PM   #8

where can I register my new purchased pentax ?
09-15-2012, 10:48 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Register a Product - PENTAX Imaging USA
09-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #10

thanks

how to grant an international warranty ?