Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-07-2012, 04:42 AM   #1

Going from D7000 to K-5?

Hey all,

I believe this is my first post here, hey everybody I´m Sten from Sweden!
Depending on your suggestion I´ll maybe be a frequent guest att this forum

I had a thought last night that keept me awake...
I´m an owner of the Nikon D7000 that I´m pretty happy with, but I have som issue with It.

1) I shoot a lot with primes and many times in low light, so even if they are fast I have som problems with shaking hands and motion blur.
2) I also shoot out in the nature when it´s bad weather (the D7000 has som WR, but non of the lenses I own)
3) I´m not very pleased with he grip on my D7000

Do you guys think that I´m better of with the K-5? (I was close when i bought the D7000)
The inhouse IS should be my main reason.

Btw, Is there any decent bird-lenses to this system (the stabilisation is already there...)

01-07-2012, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1) The in-body shake reduction helps, but only just a little. Depends on a few things really, what kind of shutter speeds were you looking for, what sort of subjects, which lenses, etc.
2) Weather sealing on my k-5 has been tested and proven. I've ran my K-5 and DA*55mm under the sink to prove the point to a friend before
3) The grip is a matter of personal opinion, you kinda have to hold it to know if its for you or not. Without the battery grip, it feels a tad too small although quite comfortable in my hands. With the battery grip, its as close to perfect as it gets. In my brother's much larger hands, it feels awkwardly tiny to him without the grip. Stick a grip on it and he won't give the camera back

So it depends really, you may or may not be better off. You could always rent one if you really want to know for sure before committing. The built-in SR works just as well as my friend's VR equipped lenses, so if that's good enough for you, then go for it. Once again though, i must stress that the effectiveness of the SR has its limitations and there are a ton of variables that can come into play in regards to determining its effectiveness. I recall someone on the forum doing an in-depth test of the SR system, but I don't remember where i saw it and on which camera.

As for birding lenses, i'm not much for birding, but do own an old 300mm f/4 manual focus lens that works brilliantly for soccer.
01-07-2012, 05:58 AM   #3
Banned

Photos: Gallery
To be honest, I would wait for the next camera that follows the K-5.
01-07-2012, 06:07 AM   #4
Pentaxian

[[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:50 AM.
01-07-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As you already know these cameras are very similar in features with one being slightly better in some areas and the other in other areas. With them being so close it really comes down to your priorities.

You noted you shoot a lot with primes in low light. The K-5 has a better dynamic range than the D7000 although it is very slight. Pentax is noted for their small primes but Nikon also has good lenses. I am not sure there would be any significant difference here.

As noted above SR is not a magic bullet, and both the in-body and in-lens shake reduction systems seem to be function well within their limitations. The only advantage to Pentax is the ability to use older lens as the SR is in the body. Theoretically this should also make the lenses less expensive.

You asked about WR and I think Pentax has a clear advantage here in both the camera and the available lenses.

The grip is as personal a thing as you can get with cameras. The K-5 fits my hands very naturally and I am happy with it but you really need to hold one to see if it fits your hands.

In my opinion the differences are minor and would not warrant a change at this time. I agree with RonHendriks, wait until the next generation is released, I think right now you would just be going sidewise and spending a lot of money to do so.
01-07-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Perhaps the OP was mindful of this issue:
Flickr: Discussing Oil droplets on my lowpass filter in NIKON D7000 CLUB
Flickr: Nikon D7000 Oil on sensor

At least the K-5's sensor stain issues seem to be over. Nikon seems to still be presently right in the middle of a similar issue.

Otherwise, D7000 vs K-5 is not a huge difference. Weather sealing can be dealt with with some care and aftermarket accessories; SR is handy, but not a deal breaker for non-telephoto; bird telephotos are available but there are more choices on Nikon mount.