Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Changing focus screen enquiry

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi.. I am looking to use the Takumar and other M42 lenses as well as the M 50 1.7 on my new K5. I have been using the M50 1.7 and notice that the focusing is way in the view finder even with confirmation. Is the Katz eye the best there is to get accurate focus. Pentax have agreed at a cost of around £30 or £40 pounds to do the change. Would it be possible to do this safely on my own and order some other shims also. Sorry if im asking a repeat question but i am very unsure about this and am not an experienced photographer.

01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
It's pretty straightforward... Screen is easily scratched, and a steady hand will help to place the screen in place. Also dust can be a nuisance...

Katz Eye instructions here:

Focusing Screen Installation Guides - KatzEye Optics

Just chose your camera, click and detailed instructions arrive in the form of a pdf file.

Dick
01-09-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dickl Quote
It's pretty straightforward... Screen is easily scratched, and a steady hand will help to place the screen in place. Also dust can be a nuisance...

Katz Eye instructions here:

Focusing Screen Installation Guides - KatzEye Optics

Just chose your camera, click and detailed instructions arrive in the form of a pdf file.

Dick
That's great Dick and has put my mind at ease. Best regards, Garbhán.
01-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I wish I'd seen that before destroying my Focusing screen.com Canon S screen. Mine ended up quite badly scratched, although still usable. I ended up getting a Tech to install it as I just couldn't get the latch to click back into place. I'll be buying another one and getting it installed by someone else. It's just never as easy as it looks for me.

01-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I wish I'd seen that before destroying my Focusing screen.com Canon S screen. Mine ended up quite badly scratched, although still usable. I ended up getting a Tech to install it as I just couldn't get the latch to click back into place. I'll be buying another one and getting it installed by someone else. It's just never as easy as it looks for me.
Thanks Bossa maybe i will send it to Pentax to get it done after all after hearing that especially as im no good at such things generally.
01-09-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Changing the screen is actually rather simple, after you have done it once. I find such things are usually easier the second time around.

You can do it yourself but read the instructions carefully, set aside plenty of time, and no caffeine. Think through each step, take time to contemplate the next step and if looks too scary stop and read the instructions again.

I put a new screen in my k-x and it made a huge difference. With the k-5 I am not sure I will replace the screen, it is so much better than the k-x that I find manual focusing to actually be fairly easy compared to the k-x, even with a new screen.
01-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #7

Since the thickness of the focusing screen is usually different from the original one, you may need to replace the metal shim with the plastic one that comes with the package. I bought my 2 focusing screens from focusingscreen.com (Nikon K3 and Canon ee-S) for my K-7 and later K-5. When I put on the replacement screens but still retained the original metal shim, I got very bad front focus. After replacing with the plastic shim, focus is bang on. A fellow here on PF also got the front focusing issue with KatzEye, so I gave him my spared shim and he got accurate focus now.

01-10-2012, 02:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

[deleted]

Last edited by beholder3; 08-12-2013 at 01:50 AM.
01-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks a lot folks i really appreciate the responses. I think i'll give it a go myself after all. Very best wishes, Garbhán.
01-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It is extremely easy to switch screens yourself in the k5, it took me less than 15 mins and that includes doing it a few times to remove dust from the screen. I used one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=260768786780&vie...=888595948016] and I didn't need to use any shims or make any adjustments, it just popped in and focuses perfectly. I recommend those screens, especially for the price; I also fitted one into my kx when I got it and again it didn't need any shimming other than what was already in the camera.
01-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
It is extremely easy to switch screens yourself in the k5, it took me less than 15 mins and that includes doing it a few times to remove dust from the screen. I used one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=260768786780&vie...=888595948016] and I didn't need to use any shims or make any adjustments, it just popped in and focuses perfectly. I recommend those screens, especially for the price; I also fitted one into my kx when I got it and again it didn't need any shimming other than what was already in the camera.
Thanks a lot Wildweasel and that definitely reassures me that it is it possible to do albeit doing so with care. Thanks very much for taking the time to write! Garbhán,