Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dust removal

For the first time I thought I might have a look at the Dust Alert in my K-5.

Well, there are spots and lines all over the place.
Look like some kid is sitting inside my camera drawing on my sensor with a texta.

Gave it a good blast with the rocket and tried the dust removal several times which only moved it around.

My question : That dust removal feature. Can someone describe for me, Should it make a noise or vibration ?, How long should it take to complete ?

When I hit the go button, it makes no noise or vibration and finishes after about a quarter of a second, with no affect on the dust. So I'm wondering if it's even working at all.

01-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Chances are that it's working- even if you try listening for the sound, it's really hard to hear. Try pressing your ear against the screen. It lasts less than a second and has a faint, high-frequency sound.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Chances are that it's working- even if you try listening for the sound, it's really hard to hear. Try pressing your ear against the screen. It lasts less than a second and has a faint, high-frequency sound.
Yep, I heard it...just.
Which is not bad for my hearing.

Turns out, I should have looked at the manual before trying the Dust Alert. The texta marks must have been caused by me waving the camera around while holding it.

I put it on a tripod to the clouds and low and behold...perfectly clean sensor...Man I love this camera !!

Cheers and thanks for the help,
I might even have a beer now,