Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was doing some kite-surfing shooting just this weekend with a K-5 and Sigma 170-500. I haven't tried much with my older K200, but the K-5 was pretty amazing for this.

I think the factor that benefits the K-5 most is that high ISO is amazing. As you have noted your sweet spot is f8-f11. I would suggest that the 120-400/170-500 sweet spot at the long end is more like f11-f13. So shooting at 1/1000s at f/13 is almost a minimum, and you are likely to use the higher ISO. I have found results to be really good up to 3200 and acceptable up to 6400. K200 was not much use above iso 400.

The AF is pretty good but it is a challenging subject. AF-C or AF-S..? Not sure which is best. I also played with spot vs 11-point. The 11-point worked most of the time, but tended to also pick up the waves and different parts of the rig etc. So good DOF would help. I reverted to spot and a mixture of AF-C and AF-S, and all round the "focus" keeper rate was about 60-70%. But obviously the final keeper rate is lower due to light,composure,angle,etc. I shot off about 150 images and still have about 100 that have fair to very good focus.

I did everything handheld, and found the technique in this link useful, particularly the hand flat up and pointing forward to support the lens. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/170243-making-most...handhelds.html

I also recently posted some B&W transforms from images into the sun on the afternoon at www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/171321-black-white-kite-surfing.html

Hope this helps.

Here are some of the better results I got:

01-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Excellent pictures Kevin! I rather like the black and white shots too. Interesting that you shoot handheld - I might try that as an alternative to wobbling around a mono pod on a rough reef whilst panning.

After reading your comment about recommended shutter/f settings I went back and looked at some of my earlier photos and noted the settings. I can see now that I was shooting too slow on the shutter and too fast on the aperture. The O/S was doing it's job properly and the focus was on but the higher frequency movement parts of the shot were blurred.
Thanks for your comments and tips Kevin - I will try them next time out.
01-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kevin,

I recently upgraded from a K10 to a K5 and for the type of work you describe the K5 is a far superior camera in every way save build quality. The K 5 is no slouch in the build area but the K10 is a tank. In any case the K5s increased dynamic range will amaze you. That said I wouldn't toss the old K10 on the scrap heap. I find I like the colours I get from the K10 to those of the K5. It could be I still haven't got my K5 setting s just the way I want them but I prefer the K10 for portraits for this reason. These musings aside there is no reason not to go for the K5 as it is a major upgrade from your current camera.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 01-12-2012 at 08:29 PM.
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Kevin, - Have to totally agree with you on the K10 for portraits, it still surprises me with what it does. (Your photo of "the catch" is fantastic BTW)
I will certainly be getting a K5 soon!
Thanks for your comments
Chris
p.s. Will post a bird shot from last week in the critique section - see if you can guess what it is

01-13-2012, 05:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks Kevin,

I'm sure you will enjoy the K5.

Tom G
01-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suddenly get the idea that everyone on this thread is called Kevin. I think Chris' (@ak_kiwi) response is directed to Tom, and Tom's responses should be to OP ak_kiwi (Chris).
BTW. I'm the Kevin already with the K-5. I think the other Kevin (aka Chris) is the one soon to be with a K-5.. But hey, i'm cool with everyone being called Kevin...
01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KevinR Quote
I suddenly get the idea that everyone on this thread is called Kevin. I think Chris' (@ak_kiwi) response is directed to Tom, and Tom's responses should be to OP ak_kiwi (Chris).
BTW. I'm the Kevin already with the K-5. I think the other Kevin (aka Chris) is the one soon to be with a K-5.. But hey, i'm cool with everyone being called Kevin...
Whoops! Sorry chaps.

Chris (but answers to Kevin, Craig etc etc )

01-13-2012, 05:34 PM   #23
klh
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a K-5 for Christmas as an upgrade to my K20D. I shoot high school swimming and diving this time of year, which is a challenge for any camera. For swimming events, I use AF-C mode with the center focus point. The light is low which forces me to use f/4 or slower.

After my first meet with the K-5, I was very impressed by the accuracy of the AF compared to the K20D. Way more keepers, and lots of sharp focus shots.

See here for more examples...

Meet 10Jan12 album | Kevin Haehl

Kevin
01-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by klh Quote
I got a K-5 for Christmas as an upgrade.....
Great shots there Kevin (popular name on this thread) - I can see the difference between the two cameras. Thanks for sharing ,you have reminded me that my daughters swim meet is coming up soon - best I get that K5 ordered

Chris