Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-13-2012, 06:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

AF speed and accuracy

Hello everyone,

I have a quick inquiry question regarding the K-5. I currently have a K-20d and I'm thinking about upgrading however I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the K-5 or switch to the Nikon d7000 or the Canon 7D. The biggest issue I have with Pentax is their extremely ssssllllloooowwww and unreliable AF system (in the K20d). I'm wondering if anyone has video test samples of the AF's speed and accuracy in the k-5. I'm looking for accuracy in dark enviroments.

Thanks

Elwood

01-13-2012, 06:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
I'm looking for accuracy in dark enviroments.
Then maybe the K5 isn't the best choice.
01-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by Hey Elwood Quote
Hello everyone,

I have a quick inquiry question regarding the K-5. I currently have a K-20d and I'm thinking about upgrading however I'm not sure if I'm going to go to the K-5 or switch to the Nikon d7000 or the Canon 7D. The biggest issue I have with Pentax is their extremely ssssllllloooowwww and unreliable AF system (in the K20d). I'm wondering if anyone has video test samples of the AF's speed and accuracy in the k-5. I'm looking for accuracy in dark enviroments.
I don't know what lenses you are using with your K20D, but if you search for "pentax k-5 af" on Youtube, you should find videos showing AF speed for many lenses. Focus accuracy is a different thing though. But I recently read somewhere that as far as phase-detect AF goes (which is what all DSLRs use) accuracy will never be 100%, more like 70% - for any brand. I don't have any experience with other DSLR brands myself though.
01-13-2012, 07:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am under the impression that the 7D ain't that great in low-light AF either...

01-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I pondered switching to 7D in 2010 but then K-5 was released and the AF is a lot better now.
I'm happy for being patient and staying with Pentax.
Of course it is matter of lenses. DA*50-135 will never be lightning fast, but for examle my FA*85 is very fast and accurate even in very dim light.
01-13-2012, 10:25 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Brooke Meyer

Its not the camera

I shoot in dark environments a lot and its not so easy and its not just the camera. You need good glass with constant apertures that work well wide open. You need to shoot on manual exposure. You need high ISO capability, at least 3200 & 6400. You need to constantly pre focus with AF button so when you press the shutter its ready to fire. I have done it with K20's but my K-5s are much better with ISO.

Regardless of brand, I'd shoot the same way. The K-5 works fine. I use a DA12-24/4, a Tamron 28-75/2.8, DA 50-135/2.8 and occasionally, a Sigma 100-300/4. If is used Canon or Nikon, the lenses would be pretty much the same.

If your goal is to just point the camera and press the button, expecting the camera to figure out a good exposure and focus and get the shot, you will be disappointed in any brand camera.
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
Inactive Account

I'm not sure about super low light, but I never wait for the K5, with the DA 18-135 lens, to focus. It has been a while since i upgraded from my Canon (30d) - but so far the K5 AF is FAST (and quiet). Also surprised at the low level of contrast it can focus on.

Possible AF FF/BF COULD be an issue - but speed? Not in normal use yet!

01-13-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-5 is much more accurate and also faster than the K20D in low light, however, you will generally experience better AF performance from Canon and Nikon as their technology is simply more developed.

This 7D vs K5 review might help you decide; I'm linking you to the AF comparison though I can recommend the entire review
Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Autofocus / Shooting Experience - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: