Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Backup body for K-5?

What would be a good, not too terribly expensive backup body to go with a K-5? I'm not really all that familiar with the older Pentax DSLR bodies, other than the original istD. K10D? K200D? Perhaps a K-x?

I realize I will probably miss out on weather sealing and all-metal construction, primarily this would be a backup body with a different lens than my K-5.

01-23-2012, 02:55 AM   #2
Forum Member

cbope, I think the best backup body for a K-5 is another K-5 :-) However, that would be a bit pricey. I have a combination of K-5 and K-x, and I'm quite happy with it, but maybe I'd be happier with k-r instead of k-x, because of the supposedly better sensor (newer product, higher ISO). I don't think anything older would be good enough, but then, just like you, I'm not too familiar with older Pentax DSLR bodies, so I might be wrong here. Recently I got a chance to try out the old k-10d, and while in its time it certainly was a good camera, with its noisy max. ISO of 1600 it can't even think of competing with the quality of k-5. So, my suggestion would be - go with the k-r, if you can't afford another k-5. You can get k-r for like half the price of k-5.
01-23-2012, 04:24 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I found it bit strange at first needing a back-up body as such. Having grown up with a Praktica and K1000 the reason for another body was to be able to use a different film, definitely not for reasons of reliability or batteries going dead. I have had a few problems with my K20 and would have appreciated a good back-up body for the missed shots that I had and am now seriously considering a K5 with the K20 as a back-up body. I am a bit apprehensive in the different controls and that you need to know two lay-outs of buttons and menus and that I would become confucius about it all in the heat of the moment, but since I love landscapes it would probably not be a problem

Another K5 a bit too pricey, but you can probably get a k20 with good WS for a decent price and it is an excellent camera. And you could keep WR lenses on both so as not to have to change it outdoors. I am sure the high ISO is an advantage with the K5, but to be honest, it is not something I have to use a t the spur of the moment and one very high ISO camera should be adequate
01-23-2012, 04:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K200D, K10D, K20D, K7 or K5 if WR is important.
K-x, K-r or K5 if high ISO is important.

Need for a wired remote? K-x and K-r can be scrapped from the list.
Need focus point indication? K-x can be scrapped from the list.
Need AF assist? Only K5, K7 and K-r (maybe K20D, not sure).

Your call what counts and what not

01-23-2012, 05:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
K200D, K10D, K20D, K7 or K5 if WR is important. K-x, K-r or K5 if high ISO is important. Need for a wired remote? K-x and K-r can be scrapped from the list. Need focus point indication? K-x can be scrapped from the list. Need AF assist? Only K5, K7 and K-r (maybe K20D, not sure). Your call what counts and what not
K-7 would probably be ideal if I can find a used one at a decent price, but it seems older K10/20/100/200 bodies would also be suitable. I don't use wired remote, but I do plan on purchasing the F wireless IR remote. High ISO in a backup body is a "nice to have" feature, but if it came down to a pricing decision I would easily drop it. I guess I need to check what the various models are selling for on ebay.
01-23-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-7, same body, similar controls....same accessories. Not great at high iso though, but at low iso very competent camera.
01-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Happyman Quote
I'm quite happy with it, but maybe I'd be happier with k-r instead of k-x, because of the supposedly better sensor (newer product, higher ISO).
That is not correct. The K-x is every bit as good as the K-r at high ISO. Check DXOMark for confirmation, they actually scored the K-x just a little bit higher.

Cbope, I would recommend the K-7 as backup to a K-5, because it has similar controls and layout. I have a K20D and K-x. I get frustrated with the K-x because of its basic controls. Also the button positions are different on the K-x, with the result that I often press the wrong one.

If not a K-7, get a K20D. It's a different body style but it is WR and has many controls that are lacking in the K-x and K-r (second wheel, User Mode, TAv, AF adjust, buttons for metering, focus select, SR).

Last edited by audiobomber; 01-23-2012 at 07:36 AM.
01-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
K200D, K10D, K20D, K7 or K5 if WR is important.
K-x, K-r or K5 if high ISO is important.

Need for a wired remote? K-x and K-r can be scrapped from the list.
Need focus point indication? K-x can be scrapped from the list.
Need AF assist? Only K5, K7 and K-r (maybe K20D, not sure).

Your call what counts and what not
+1 to that. It's all about what works for you and your circumstances. I had both the K-r and K-x when the Cyber Monday deals on the K-5 hit and had to decide which to sell to offset the cost of the K-5. Even though it was newer and had AF points in the viewfinder I sold the K-r because it had a lower shutter count and would bring more money to offset the K-5 cost AND the K-x is an excellent camera. My point is that many counseled me to keep the K-r because of XYZ issue but for me the K-x is plenty fine enough as a #2 camera. Only you know what you need and will be comfortable with as your #2 body.

On the F remote - buy the 2 button $7 model it works the AF and the shutter on the K-5 and is a lot less than the Pentax model.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/llc-rm-e7-remote-control.html

Why eBay? I've seen some terrific deals here on the Marketplace for the various models, plus you avoid some of the issues you can get with eBay sellers - like not really caring for their equipment, not being able to tell you the shutter count, etc.
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #9

When I decided to buy my K5 I grinned widely and held onto my K20. Haven't had any significant problems with either of the - or the K10 I had before them.
01-23-2012, 08:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
What would be a good, not too terribly expensive backup body to go with a K-5? I'm not really all that familiar with the older Pentax DSLR bodies, other than the original istD. K10D? K200D? Perhaps a K-x?

I realize I will probably miss out on weather sealing and all-metal construction, primarily this would be a backup body with a different lens than my K-5.
I still use my K7 quite a bit as a backup for my K5 ... great if you don't push the ISO too high.
Other than that, it is a great backup, with nearly identical controls, uses the same batteries too.

JP
01-23-2012, 08:31 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you are going to travel with the K-5 and a backup body, I'd suggest choosing the K-7 since it shares batteries and chargers.

If space/size is a concern, I'd consider using an advanced point-and-shoot as a backup. After all, it will only be used if the K-5 breaks down, which doesn't happen very often.

If low light is a priority, then another K-5 or the K-x.
01-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

A nice compact with manual controls and RAW is what I would suggest. However, that wouldn't be a Pentax ... prolly a G-series Canon.

but in terms of performance the K-x rocks. no sealing though....
01-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you can't afford another K-5, get a K-7. Functionally quite similar, and uses the same batteries.

The exception would be if you have need of a different kind of camera altogether, an even smaller model like the K-R, say.

But I really enjoy having two bodies that work the same.
01-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
A nice compact with manual controls and RAW is what I would suggest. However, that wouldn't be a Pentax ... prolly a G-series Canon.
I have a Canon G9 which is my current backup and shoots raw. Main drawback is it doesn't have a K-mount (or any mount for that matter). I don't really mind control layout differences, I can learn both so it's not a real concern for me. In my film days, my main body was a ZX-5n with battery grip and my backup was an ME Super with a winder. Very different layouts there.
01-24-2012, 06:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbope Quote
I have a Canon G9 which is my current backup and shoots raw. Main drawback is it doesn't have a K-mount (or any mount for that matter). I don't really mind control layout differences, I can learn both so it's not a real concern for me. In my film days, my main body was a ZX-5n with battery grip and my backup was an ME Super with a winder. Very different layouts there.
In that case I think the K-x might be a good choice for you. It has, for me, the added benefit as a backup of being inherently able to use AA batteries and uses the same lenses