Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Need for Servicing?

I've had my K-5 for about 14 months and have made about 25,000 shutter actuations. It's been everywhere with me though it travels in a padded camera bag.

Do cameras like this need servicing and cleaning at regular intervals? I've no reason to think my camera isn't working properly but on the other hand maybe items like this do need servicing from time to time so that they go on working properly and I suppose calibration of focus, etc, can drift off without one really noticing. I do clean the sensor/mirror box occasionally with a rocket cleaner and I always wipe off damp, rain spots, etc. before putting the camera away.

Thanks in advance.

01-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are fine. There's no regular maintenance required.
01-23-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Pentax (and most other camera manufacturers) recommend yearly maintenance in the manuals, but I doubt it's necessary unless you're noticing problems such as consistently off metering.
01-23-2012, 12:11 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Of all the Pentax DSLRs I've owned none of them ever needed maintenance or cleaning, though then again I didn't take more than 20k shots with any of them.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'm visiting the local Pentax shop quite soon so I'll ask them about it. Probably I will get a service later this year before a trip abroad, if I do go away.