Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2012, 07:04 AM   #1
Banned

Help QUICK, I just bought this

I just bought this, and thought that it would work with my K5.
If not I need to call and cancel the order.

PENTAX PK-A 2X MACRO 1:1 FOCUSING TELECONVERTER VIVITAR

01-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #2

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/27163-vivitar-...ve-thread.html
01-25-2012, 07:17 AM   #3
Banned

that IS a Kmount teleconverter, so if you were worried it wouldn't mount, then fret not as you shouldn't have any issues with that. personally I don't think these type of teleconverters are good for macro work, and you can get better results much cheaper and easier by reversing mounting a prime lens, such as a 50, or possibly a 28mm, etc. all you need is an inexpensive reversing ring. or you could just use some simple extension tubes. these type of teleconverters introduce all sorts of aberrations and purple fringing on a digital sensor and despite any claims to the contrary, will indeed degrade image quality. I would cancel the order and invest in the other methods I mentioned if for no other reason to save money on unnecessary equipment to experiment with macro work.

Last edited by séamuis; 01-25-2012 at 07:22 AM.
01-25-2012, 07:35 AM   #4
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
that IS a Kmount teleconverter, so if you were worried it wouldn't mount, then fret not as you shouldn't have any issues with that. personally I don't think these type of teleconverters are good for macro work, and you can get better results much cheaper and easier by reversing mounting a prime lens, such as a 50, or possibly a 28mm, etc. all you need is an inexpensive reversing ring. or you could just use some simple extension tubes. these type of teleconverters introduce all sorts of aberrations and purple fringing on a digital sensor and despite any claims to the contrary, will indeed degrade image quality. I would cancel the order and invest in the other methods I mentioned if for no other reason to save money on unnecessary equipment to experiment with macro work.
If it will work I just want to experiment with it.
7 elements, looked like a decent quality piece.
If it doesn't work for my needs I'll just sale it off or trade it out for something.

Here's my rig.

01-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #5
Banned

you already have a very sharp lens, and a very good lighting setup. to get more magnification, I would think just adding more extension tubes would be your best bet. or invest in a bellows setup. I can't see the point in degrading the image that wonderful and high quality lens will give you with a teleconverter. but if you want to experiment, by all means, you seem to have purchased a good Kmount A contact teleconverter.
01-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
That's what I wanted to do.
I can't find any extension tubes to add on that will allow the metering system along with the aperture to work
01-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi

I use one of those, excellent quality. Don't listen to people that have not tried it, I have tested the Vivitar one against my
SP adaptall one on my 90 Macro and it is as good but much more flexible.
What I am planing to do is modify it to do AF by adding a drive shaft from an old lens.

Sure you will have fun with it.

01-25-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Banned

Original Poster
I should have bought the tamron 90mm macro..................it HAS an aperture ring. Then I could get all the extension tubes I want.
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #9
Banned

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

I use one of those, excellent quality. Don't listen to people that have not tried it, I have tested the Vivitar one against my
What I am planing to do is modify it to do AF by adding a drive shaft from an old lens.

That's what I needed to hear.
As far as auto focus goes, that doesn't matter to me. I never use auto focus in macro.
What matters is being able to adjust aperture.

If I can find a way to get the glass out of this thing it will make a damn fine adjustable extension tube.
The thing is brand new and I bought it with ebay bucks, so it was essentially free.
They also seen to be really rare. ANYTHING having to do with super macro and the Pentax 100mm WR is really RARE.
It's such a darn fine lens though. I just hate to go to anything else.
01-25-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one of those and the quality is as good as most other tele-converters. These are very hard to find in good condition. Mine came with a bit of fungus, so had to be disassembled and cleaned. There are lots of little parts and tricks in there, it was quite an adventure getting it back together.

Image wise, as any TC it adds more glass to the situation and thus some image degradation is inevitable. But the images I have gotten have been fine and it is always in my kit when traveling because of the adaptability.
01-25-2012, 09:10 AM   #11

My setup. In this photo it I have a slide/negative carrier, when off I can take 1:1 or greater. If I do not need 1:1, I use the 50mm Macro lens by itself. I shoot a lot of film and this setup works great as a negative scanner too. I also have extension tubes, but I do not like them.
Attached Images

01-25-2012, 10:05 AM   #12
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by bobpur Quote
Hi

don't listen to those who have never tried? you don't need to try to know that a teleconverter, especially one working at high magnification does indeed degrade image quality. this is fact, not opinion. if the OP only wanted to hear something to convince him of what he already wanted, there wouldn't be much reason to start a thread. I was simply offering an opinion and valid factual information to consider. the truth is, a bellows or extension tubes would provide more magnification and better image quality. however, if he wants to retain automated control via the body, and can't find a set of A contact extension tubes, this is a good enough option.
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the non-A version of the Vivitar 2x Macro and it is excellent--but I assume you need to have a lens with an aperature ring, and the lens you show does not have such. Use an older FA,A,M,K lens to verify it works OK.
01-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one of those Vivitar 2x converters too. It wouldn't be true to say it has no degradation, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of images from mine.
If I put my 15 or 40 Limited primes on it the images sure look good to me! I've also put my M 100mm Macro on it for extra magnification and that worked pretty well too.

What that TC isn't very good for IMO is just regular (non-macro) shooting. It produces noticeable fringing then but in macro situations I don't see it.

Here's one with the da15 on the Vivitar for an effective 30mm macro lens:

01-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It does degrade image quality, even with 7 elements - mine does. However, with the setup you have - lens, good light source, tripod, etc. - for your macro work it's probably the best option other than spending WAY more for a new lens. Personally I use my M50/4 or 100/4 on a bellows because AF macro lenses never have made sense to me. Let us know how it works out for you when you get it!