Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's a good third party grip(s) ?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by penties rider Quote
hi all

also have a 3rd party battery grip, one of the supposedly better ones that i bought after researching a lot (mostly here on this forum) which i use it on my K-7 ...
Bonjour,

I'd like to experiment with a grip for my K-5, but not willing to pay the hefty Pentax price in France.

What 3rd party grip could anyone recommend and/or avoid, etc.

Thanks for any insights, Salut, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-15-2012 at 02:12 AM.
02-15-2012, 01:00 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi all

have an original Pentax battery grip, using it on my K-5, works great ...

also have a 3rd party battery grip, one of the supposedly better ones that i bought after researching a lot (mostly here on this forum) which i use it on my K-7, but unfortunately its lucking mechanism's crank-like handle broke off the other day, although i was truly over-cautious when using it, as it's a very fragile item, even on the original Pentax grip!

of course the mechanism is still ok and holds the battery tray finely, but the handle is gone, impossible to repair (at least for me!) and hard to open and close now, which is a drag ...

am thinking if there is any solution around this problem?
Had the same problem. You can cannibalize the end plate from the AA battery tray if you don't use it. Alternatively you could try to source for the original part from Pentax. I tried but they didn't get back to me so I stopped bothering and bought the original grip.

If all else fails, just use some gaffer tape to hold the thing closed!
02-15-2012, 04:18 AM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

hi John Poitiers

i searched around for the 3rd party grip after i read posts from other Pentaxians here or there, especially on this forum. sorry can't remember which thread it was on but i think you can find that one (if it's still there) by doing a search yourself here on the forum's main page perhaps ...

i also made another search online with many links, here:
pentax K-7 battery grip 3rd party - Bing

for what i remember, there were three of these 3rd party grips, with one being the worst of them due to certain reasons ... they were all priced around $50 back then as far as i can remember, which makes it 1/4 the price for an original Pentax grip btw ...

unfortunately, even the original Pentax grip's locking handle doesn't seem very strong although it's served well for me so far after nearly two years of use, which is one year longer (thus stronger!) than the 3rd party grip ...

B&H also has one such clone battery grip (link below) at a higher price than the other 3rd party grips albeit still much less costly than the original one, but i have no idea if it's better than the broken one i have already or not?
D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 & K-5 bower

hope this helps ...
02-15-2012, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #19
PFH
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

I'd like to experiment with a grip for my K-5, but not willing to pay the hefty Pentax price in France.

I've used this one on my K-7 for more than a year, External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
works very well, but not weather sealed.

02-15-2012, 01:51 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Battery door sealing slipping off

Has anyone else had problems with the battery door sealing?

I my battery grip the sealing on the battery door won't stay on its place. My first battery door lasted approx. 8 months and then the sealing fell off. I got a new one from warranty and now after 6 months the sealing is again starting to fall of.
02-16-2012, 01:21 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Merci !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by PFH Quote
I've used this one on my K-7 for more than a year, External Battery Grip for Pentax K7 DSLR - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
works very well, but not weather sealed.
Bonjour PFH,

Thanks for your experience and for the link ... looks pretty good and have not yet seen this site.

For me, weather sealing is not necessary for this particular accessory. Not planning to shoot with it on the K-5 in "extreme" type conditions.

Allez et merci encore, J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-16-2012 at 06:51 AM.
02-16-2012, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #22
Pentaxian

Merci encore ...

hi John Poitiers

i searched around for the 3rd party grip after i read posts from other Pentaxians here or there, especially on this forum. ...

pentax K-7 battery grip 3rd party - Bing

D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 & K-5 bower

hope this helps ...
Bonjour penties rider,

Thanks a lot for your post, very helpful. I'd opt for the OEM Pentax grip, but it's just too darned expensive in France (about $300; converted from Euro to $) and I'd rather allocate my photo budget towards saving up for better glass (read "limited").

Allez et bon courage - J Frog

Last edited by Jean Poitiers; 02-17-2012 at 03:16 AM.
02-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #23

I bought the camera with the grip directly, and I love it, so far I've only used it for the grip purpose, so no batteries in it yet... saving...
02-16-2012, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fmerges Quote
I bought the camera with the grip directly, and I love it, so far I've only used it for the grip purpose, so no batteries in it yet... saving...
You can put AAs in the grip, set the camera on In-Camera battery first, and then conserve the AAs for only those occassions when the original Li battery in the camera has been exhausted. That is way you save money while using the grip to ensure you have power.
02-17-2012, 03:53 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
You can put AAs in the grip, set the camera on In-Camera battery first, and then conserve the AAs for only those occassions when the original Li battery in the camera has been exhausted. That is way you save money while using the grip to ensure you have power.
Yes I know, it's just that so far I didn't need the use of more battery time, my shootings hasn't been so long :-) but yeah, definitely a pack of AAs will be in the bag, once I get one
02-19-2012, 07:44 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by John Poitiers Quote
Bonjour,

I bought this one BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-5 K5 K7 K-7 D-BG4 +2x D-Li90 | eBay a couple of months ago and I've used it a lot. It's not sealed, and the on/off switch isn't quite as positive as on my K5, but for the money I think it's definitely worth it as it makes the camera nicer to hold, even with my small hands, and makes taking portraits more pleasurable and steadier. The batteries are good so far as well; they last easily as long as the original per charge, though I don't expect them to have as long a lifespan as the OEM one that came with the camera.
02-19-2012, 07:50 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Merci encore ...

QuoteOriginally posted by wildweasel Quote
I bought this one BATTERY GRIP FOR PENTAX K-5 K5 K7 K-7 D-BG4 +2x D-Li90 | eBay a couple of months ago and I've used it a lot. It's not sealed, and the on/off switch isn't quite as positive as on my K5, but for the money I think it's definitely worth it as it makes the camera nicer to hold, even with my small hands, and makes taking portraits more pleasurable and steadier. The batteries are good so far as well; they last easily as long as the original per charge, though I don't expect them to have as long a lifespan as the OEM one that came with the camera.
Bonjour wildweasel,

Many thanks to you (and everyone else) for your input! It's a great help.

UN GRAND MERCI ENCORE!

Salut, J
04-24-2012, 08:50 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

the original Battery Grip D-BG4 is listed at eBay AU for AU$50:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/130686115380?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p39...#ht_500wt_1330

good product, I have one
04-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #29
Forum Member

I am loving my battery grip so much, that it has not been unmounted since the day it was purchase. It does not really add too much weight or bulk to a K5. Handling the Tamron 70-200 just became a whole lot easier.
04-25-2012, 04:55 PM   #30
Forum Member

Used this one with a K-7 and sold it with the camera.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Never had any problems with it. The only thing I remember that seemed weak was the tabs for removing the battery compartment. I was careful with them so they never failed. Also the buttons and switches didn't have the same quality feel as on the camera but they worked as they should and also never failed.

Now that I have a K-5 I've ordered another. I made an offer of $39 and they took it.