Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5 audio quality very poor

For those of you with both a K-5 and K-r ... Would you mind comparing the audio quality of the K-5 vs. K-r?

About three weeks ago I noticed that when I create a video with my K-5, the sound quality was atrocious. Very muffled and faint. I compared it to the audio quality of my K-r and there was a dramatic difference. The K-r was loud, crisp, clear. Audio was clearly superior.

I sent the K-5 to C.R.I.S. for repair. They sent it back saying they repaired the internal microphone.

However, if there is any improvement in audio quality, it is minimal. Apparently they didn't to a very thorough test after the supposed repair by comparing it to another K-5 in good working order or even a K-r. The sound is still very muffled. The K-r is still clearly superior in sound quality. I can't believe the audio quality coming from my K-5 is normal. I wish I had another K-5 for comparison.

02-04-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The internal mics aren't stellar- get a hotshot-mounted one if you'd like good audio quality!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2012, 07:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Re: audio in DSLRs not stellar

Adam,
I'm not comparing the audio quality to a professional attached microphone. As far as I'm concerned, the audio quality on my K-r is stellar. The audio on my K-5 is very poor in comparison to my K-r. Something is defective in the K-5.
02-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
a professional attached microphone
I wouldn't call something like a $50 Audio-Technica stereo DSLR mic unattainably 'professional'. For good audio on either camera, it's probably a good way to go.

BTW where is the mic located on the K-r? Is it in a different spot to the K-5?

02-04-2012, 09:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
rawr,
The K-5 audio quality is not poor because I'm using the built-in internal mic. It is poor because it seems defective. I'm sure an external mic will produce better quality sound but my point is that the sound quality of the K-r is outstanding without an external mic. The sound quality from my K-5 is terrible. It should be at least as good or better than the K-r. The K-5 audio is very muffled and quiet. The K-r audio is crystal clear and loud.

I've had the K-5 for about 10 months. Shortly after I bought it, I noticed the sound quality seemed poor. So, I bought an external mic thinking that would resolve the issue. I don't remember how much it cost but tried it and the sound quality didn't improve whatsoever. Since I didn't plan on using the video feature I wasn't too concerned and figured I just had to change some camera setting or something and I returned the mic to the store and pretty much forgot about the problem until recently when I needed to use the video.
02-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can you upload a sample with your speaking voice? That way another k-5 owner can determine if the quality is on par with their own.
02-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
You can view and hear the K-5 video at

The K-r video is at

02-04-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hm, the k-5 sounds much quieter, but i don't know if the "quality" is off. But now maybe some k-5 users can comment.. Also, what is that ticking sound?
02-04-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The mic on the K5 is weather sealed, that makes it sound muffled.

Funny how often the obvious is missed.

ps. the ticking is a codec timing issue i believe or the SR
02-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My K-5 has fine mic pickup. Yours sounds muffled.

You aren't putting anything on top of the K-5's in-built mic? It's immediately in front of the hot-shoe.
02-04-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
I can't hear the ticking sound when played locally on my computer. YouTube seems to be causing the ticking sound.

I hadn't thought of the weather sealing causing the problem but I still find it hard to believe that Pentax's flagship DSLR would have such poor audio quality. As far as I'm concerned, the video on the K-5 is not usable if you want audio with the video. It's totally unacceptable to me.
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
rawr,

Thanks for verifying that your K-5 audio sounds better than mine.
I have made sure my hands or anything else is not covering up the microphone.
02-04-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
Veteran Member

How does your audio compare to this (random) Youtube K-5 audio/video test:

02-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
rawr,
This random K5 audio is far better sound quality than mine. Very loud, clear, and crisp, just like my K-r.

I just can't believe CRIS camera repair thought they had fixed it. Really sloppy work. They obviously didn't test it against a good working K-5.
02-05-2012, 10:25 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sevenarrow Quote
rawr,
This random K5 audio is far better sound quality than mine. Very loud, clear, and crisp, just like my K-r.
But as you can see that video has a consistent audio track even though the video is clipped a lot. Perhaps the audio is recorded separately? Anyhow this is not a straight out of the camera clip.