Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Using wireless flash on K5 while shooting with a reverse mount

Hey Pentaxians,

Has anyone figured out a workaround to use the wireless flash mode while shooting with a macro reverse mount on a k5? I use my k5 with a AF540fgz in wireless mode all the time but when i put on a reverse mount (which makes the lense entirely manueal with no electronic conection to the camera) I loose the ability to select remote flash mode on the camera. I understand that the flash and exprosure will all be fully manual, i'm fine with that. i just need the light so i can stop down my lens!!

If there is already a thread on this my appologies for kicking it off again!

Cheers,

02-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Hey kd1, the problem is that the wireless flash mode relies on TTL metering to send info to the remote flash unit, when you reverse mount the lens, the lens is no longer comunicating with the body so no TTL information is available therefore no wireless mode. Basically you have 2 options, the best is to buy a cheap radio trigger set (the kind you can buy on ebay for about 15 or 20$) and then use your flash on manual mode.
2nd option is to mount a lens that comunicates with the body and then use a reverse ring to attach the other lens reversed. I have gotten great results by mounting a 200mm A lens with a reversed 50mm mounted on the filter threads with a reverse ring. Anything over 100mm should work for the first lens (otherwise the image will vignette), primes are better because the added weight of adding a lens will cause zoom creep and if the barrel extends you'd be putting strain on it (not a good idea by any accounts). For the second lens, the wider it is, the more magnification you'll get. As long as the first lens can comunicate with the body, you'll be able to use the wireless mode. Not sure how useful TTL flash metering would really be in shooting macro though, I always use manual with radio trigger.
02-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kd1 Quote

I understand that the flash and exprosure will all be fully manual, i'm fine with that. i just need the light so i can stop down my lens!!

Cheers,
An alternative to radio triggers is a flash extension cord. I use a Nissin Universal Hotshoe Cable more or less exactly for the purpose that you describe.
02-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
kd1
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you

Sounds like i've got two (or three) good options.

I had guessed at the option of using a radio trigger and a hotshoe mounted cable. Stacking an A lens first had not come to mind though, glad i asked.

I'll play with these ideas and, with any luck, i'll get a chance to share my results.

Take care!

02-05-2012, 01:15 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
An alternative to radio triggers is a flash extension cord. I use a Nissin Universal Hotshoe Cable more or less exactly for the purpose that you describe.
Sure, that works great, but the radio triggers will have the added bonus that they can be used to create creative off camera lighting for non-macro shooting (portrait, fashion, etc.), and if the idea is to use the wireless triggering of the flash, then having to be tethered to the light would defeat the purpose .
02-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jase036 Quote
Sure, that works great, but the radio triggers will have the added bonus that they can be used to create creative off camera lighting for non-macro shooting (portrait, fashion, etc.), and if the idea is to use the wireless triggering of the flash, then having to be tethered to the light would defeat the purpose .
I most certainly won't argue against that. I just wanted to point to an alternative.

I guess both cables and triggers come in varying qualities and at least a good cable is soooo reliable