Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

Upgrade from *ist D

Hello fellow pentax users.
I am new to this group and am looking for some advise. I have been using Pentax for many years...started with a zx-50, then to the *istD. I have a 50mm 1.4, and a 28-300 lens, along with two others that originally came with the zx-50. I am looking for an upgrade, but am not sure which will be a better option. Upgrade to get another lens (wide angle 17-55mm) or upgrade to a new camera body (k-r, K7, K5).
Thank you for your thoughts.

02-06-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why not the best of both worlds and get the K-5 with a kit lens (18-55mm).

Seriously, it depends on what type of shooting you do. The advantages of a K-r/K-5 is the low noise when shooting at high ISO settings. If it were me, I'd get a new body.
02-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Since you're well covered in focal length range with your current lenses, a body upgrade would be my recommendation. You will be amazed how much faster the K-5 is to work with and the image quality is much better, much more detail.
02-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Why are you upgrading? In most instance I would think the body would be the better choice but it really depends on what you are looking for. A body upgrade with give you better high iso performance as well as shake reduction which will basically make all your lenses perform as if they were a lot faster. You will also get a newer sensor with higher resolution. If you really need the wider angle of a 17mm and or are unhappy with the quality of the glass you currently have, then perhaps a lens upgrade would be more beneficial.

You could of course have the best of both worlds and get the k-r (much cheaper than the k-5 or k-7), and use the difference towards a lens. If it is going to be either but not both, while the benefits are different between the 2, I would think a new body would give you the best bang for the buck all around compared to a new lens. I personally am using an ist-ds and have been considering upgrading for a little while now (primarily to get shake reduction and better high ios performance). I have been considering either a k-x or a k-r.

Just a word of warning. If you have ttl flashes, they will not work on the new camera. The ist series was the last to have a ttl sensor.

02-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a K-x or K-r would give you the biggest upgrade bang for the buck. But if you like the *istD's pro controls (dedicated buttons, dual wheels), you might consider a K20D. Better resolution & higher ISO capability without breaking the bank. I would also keep the *istD if at all possible, it's still a capable camera & has the TTL-flash capability.
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The D and Ds don't have as much value anymore (a hundred and change) and its still a nice camera. I'll probably keep mine as a second body when I upgrade.
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Keep the ist D if you care about TTL flash, otherwise sell it and get a K-5. IMO, there's no reason to be lagging behind in the last decade by getting an older body as everything on them has been improved over time

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-06-2012, 09:33 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for all the opinions. I really like the thought of the weather protection perks in the K-5, but have seen some good things about the k-r. Any issues/downsides with going with the K-r? The body might be the next best option for a true upgrade, but price is a consideration. I would like to print up to 20x24, if not slightly larger. Can the K-r accommodate?
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I shot with an ist-D for years (its right on my desk in front of me now,) then upgraded to a K10d, now using a K7. The difference in iQ, functionality and usability is incredible. Definitely upgrade the camera body.
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Ole
Administrator

The K-r has just one control wheel, the *istD has two, and a number of buttons have been eliminated on the K-r. You may therefore find the K-r less convenient to operate than the *istD or K-5. But you can probably get used to that. The K-r can easily support prints of 20x24.
02-06-2012, 09:43 PM   #11

Original Poster
It sounds like I will have to find a place in my area that will carry pentax in order for me to "see" the K7 and the K5.
02-07-2012, 09:11 AM   #12

I sold my ist DS to buy a Canon 5DII. Unhappy with the Canon due to its size I sold it to buy my K5. All I can say is what a difference. Image quality is very close to the Canon, and the Canon was way ahead of the ist DS. I think you will be very happy with the K5, but do keep the ist D as a spare body.