Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Well done!

I was in your shoes a couple years ago. Now I'm...well, still in your shoes. But it is nice to walk into a gallery and see some of my images.

Ask the gallery if they are interested in some greeting cards (depends on the kind of gallery), because they are easy to make and inexpensive. It's one more way to try to branch out.

02-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like that shot. Goodluck selling your pics. I mat, frame and sell mine at restaurants, art shows and galleries. Remember to sign the mats. Maybe a nice silver paint pen/marker. Name them and have location if relevant. Doing limited prints adds value(1of 50). Dont undersale! Try to find clients that will pay what you deserve. I get inexpensive mats at goldenstateart.com, 11x14 frames at costco and larger frames on sale 50% off at Michaels. Do your own matting. Dont go overboard spending $. Its expensive! Listen to everyone's opinion on what they like. Lots of photos that I hate, they love. Protect them well when transporting them. You are your own worst critic. Thats all the advice. I've been selling for about 6 months so I'm still new to it. Good luck again!!!
02-11-2012, 03:53 AM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maynard001 Quote
Congrats Rob!

Can I ask how you got in touch with the gallery...or where they saw your photos? I'm building up a portfolio of my best shots and I've been thinking about trying to make a little money on the side.

Just wondering how yours came about...

Again, thanks to all for the kind words and comments. In respect of how I came to be in this position the story is nicely simple.
I had reason to deal with a very skilled and experience pro photographer and was struck as to what little difference there was between his £3000 full frame camera body work and the stuff I was taking. Both the IQ capabilities and his eye for subject and composition. And when added to the building noise of friends,family (and strangers) I just decided the following day to approach the nearest gallery to where I lived to test out my theory that what I was doing had broader appeal.

Literally, there's one that's 80% photography about 800 yards away. Fortunately he was very passionate about having local 'artists' so I clearly ticked that box. It wasn't immeadiate as I'd made my first mistake of taking far too many shots (Just on a cd) so after a week or so was requested to edit down to around 10. This is obviously where another level of toil and consideration comes in as I found myself discarding most of the group I'd presented and starting again. The gallery owner had been very comunicative with what works for his customers so I'd listened keenly to all of his advice, he knows his business - not me, so I tried to match work I had with the themes and styles he found appealed to his clients.

So with a disc of 12 I went back and was overjoyed that he felt half were of a standard to be taken for priniting and hanging.

So essentially it was a case of accidentally getting that final shout of encouragement, staying local, listening (SO IMPORTANT) and not overwhelming anyone with too large a selection. Keep them in reserve, there's always another day.

A measured approach isn't a bad idea neither, I'm naturally over confident and bolshy but that would have seen me come away with nothing. I avoided asking about money nor timescale until it was necessary as this will take care of itself, it was all about images and nothing else and he's taken one or two that surprised me and dismissed stuff I thought were definites. But again, it's the gallery owners gallery not mine !!!

I'll post a snap of them hanging when the work is done.
02-12-2012, 11:30 AM   #19

Thanks for the explanation Rob. I look forward to seeing your shots of the prints on the gallery wall...

02-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bravo!!! :-)