Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rich Young Quote
Wow! Thanks so much for these great ideas - and keep 'em coming!

We are going to be in Ely at a fishing cabin. We are renting fishing boats - no canoes here. Although, maybe I will think of that for just an early morning jaunt.

A bit off topic: I realize that there will be insects, but what is the general population of mosquitos in the middle of July (temp and precip being about average.)?

Maybe I need to think about a two lens (or more) solution - and definitely beginning to research some waterproof bags.

All of you have been so helpful and gracious - thanks!

Rich
Ely is Outfitter heaven in July - fun town. We outfitted from the Boy Scout Camp down the road a bit and entered the Quetico Provinvial Park, ON. IIRC 14 days, but maybe 12.

Blackflies should be mostly gone by then. Breeze is the best mosquito management system, followed by long sleeves and pants, Ben's Repellent Oil (100% Deet forumlation - what skin cancer) and a head net. Everyone should have a head net in case you fish in still air. We really didn't have much insect trouble 1st week of July.

Use a neck drape behind your cap for sun management.

02-09-2012, 10:51 AM   #17

Original Poster
Thanks for the tips. It's been ages since I have been fishing (over 30 years) like this. I am looking forward to it.
02-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Ah...that changes things. Disregard my comments about weight....take any lens you want! Ely is a nice little town...you'll have plenty of canoeing options should you decide to do that for a day/morning.

I'm not gonna lie, but the mosquitoes are legendary. Mid July to the end of August are probably the best times to go. Hope for a dry year and slight breeze and you should be in great shape. Still definitely take bug spray along. One note about the Ben's wipes and like products...the deet has been known to melt, yes melt, some types of plastic. So if you do go this route, ensure that you wash your hands prior to touching your camera and lenses.

Sounds like it should be a fun time!
02-09-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i thought you were talking about a new lens...i have the discontinued 18-250

02-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pearsaab Quote
i thought you were talking about a new lens...i have the discontinued 18-250
Pentax announced some new lenses that are coming, I read that one new lens is going to be 18-250mm. Did anyone else see that? Or am I not getting enough sleep?
02-10-2012, 11:13 AM   #21
Forum Member

I have this lens. Tamron 70-300mm F4-5.6 AF Di LD Macro Lens Reviews - Tamron Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database It was my first purchase after my K200d kit. I know the ratings arent stellar but the price is right for someone that is....er....more frugal. Plus if it gets accidentally dropped in a lake you're not out a butt ton of money. I upgraded to the Pentax DA 55-300. So the Tamron is just sittin on a shelf. I suppose I could be persueded to part with it ;-)
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
Forum Member

I'm selling one in the market for 100 bucks.

02-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #23

Original Poster
Thanks. Lots to think about and consider.
01-11-2013, 09:36 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Heh! You must have sprung for Kevlar. Try portaging a 75 pound 18.5' Quetico Cruiser and a Granite bag and Kondos bag for 14 days!
My thoughts exactly! Or some of those jelly-belly royalexes! Worrying about the weight of your camera is a little beside the point with one of those beasties.