Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1

new K-5 user questions

I received my K-5 from BuyDig yesterday, hours after amazon delivered my 18-55WR lens. The pisser was waiting 5+ hours for the battery to charge. By then it was either shoot by the light of a large moon or wait til today. Getting somewhere now. Two questions:

1) I am getting OK results but would like the images a tiny bit sharper. W/O buying a prime (I will in time), what would you suggest for custom settings?

2) firmware is 1.01, should I update asap?

02-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bonjonno Quote
I am getting OK results but would like the images a tiny bit sharper. W/O buying a prime (I will in time), what would you suggest for custom settings?
This is a bit like calling an auto repair shop and saying "My car won't run. What's wrong with it?" If you can post some photos, I'm sure there will be a lot us eager to give you advice. As to the firmware; yes, update it.
02-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And definitely go shoot by moonlight. Your new K-5 is up to it.
02-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #4

Original Poster
thanks folks. lots of things this camera can do. It's coming along... will post some shots when I have something worthwhile.

02-09-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
if you are using the 18-55mm lens, keep the aperture around f8.0 through to f11.0 for sharpest images. And I am not sure about the WR version, but my DAL II version was quite soft at 55mm anyway, much better zoomed out a little (or a lot)
02-09-2012, 01:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Look at PF K-5 review ...

Bonjour,

I would suggest uploading the latest firmware (with a fully charged battery, of course) ... I've done it, no problems.

I would also suggest that you look at the PF K-5 review ... there's a "recommended settings" section which may be helpful ... here's the link:

Pentax K-5 Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Allez, bonne courage - J Frog
02-09-2012, 02:20 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks John Poitiers; I knew I'd seen that somewhere before but couldn't find it thru search. I finally figured out how easy it is to roam thru various custom settings, so I'm getting there. There's alot more camera here than one can figure out in 10 hours. Promises to be a great tool.

02-09-2012, 02:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

De rien ...

QuoteOriginally posted by bonjonno Quote
Thanks John Poitiers; I knew I'd seen that somewhere before but couldn't find it thru search. I finally figured out how easy it is to roam thru various custom settings, so I'm getting there. There's alot more camera here than one can figure out in 10 hours. Promises to be a great tool.
No problem ... the K-5 is a lot of camera and even after having K-7 for a while, I'm still discovering its possibilities ... it's a steep learning curve IMHO, but well worth the time and effort ...

Also, if you come across a "Magic Lantern Guides" book about the K-7 (Peter Burian), it might be helpful, too. I found it worthwhile ... and still valid for the K-5 since they are both basically the same ...

Bonne courage, John