Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2012, 03:02 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LowVoltage Quote
In addition to the comments about corrupted SD cards, was the camera running low on battery power and shutdown after shooting the image? I've seen strange things happen on my customers' P&S cameras because the camera is turning itself off due to low battery power, but the customer keeps turning the camera back on and shooting more images. If the camera shuts down while trying to save the data to the card from the buffer it can corrupt the data. I've seen this mostly with Canons and a few others, and it has even rendered a card unusable until the data can be recovered with software.
Nope, full battery and still using that same charge. But good point there.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Are you shooting in DNG, PEF, or DNG mode? DNG usually contains an embedded JPG preview thumbnail. Try to check whether the DNG or the preview portion is bad. We'll need to know what processing software you use if you need help doing that.

Do you see the same problem if you review the bad photo on your camera's LCD?

If you already deleted the bad photo from your card you might not be able to answer the above questions. Just format the card in-camera and if the problem happens again set that card aside as potentially bad. If the problem continues with a different card then there might be something going on with your camera, card reader, computer, or processing software.

(Something similar happened with 1 photo the first weekend I bought my Canon S95. I took many photos afterwards within the return period but the problem never showed up again. I'm still using the same camera and memory card one year later with no issues.)
I shoot in DNG but I have deleted that photo from my card. I still have a copy on a hard drive though and I'm using Lightroom for PP. But I'm relieved to know that it is a card related issue. There is so many posts to support that theory and now I have a good excuse to get a bigger card