Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

New baby... (and a battery charger question)

Just got the K-5. Sitting at a coffee shop charging the battery, hoping I can shoot some before it gets dark (OTOH, I don't need to worry about that anymore, do I?)

Also got a couple manual lenses to play with. So it will be fun.

Oh, I will have so many questions, because I am one that obsesses about the tiniest of things.

Here goes one: I will immediately need a second battery/charging solution. I like leaving one home and carrying one with me. The question is, given that I already hate the charger it comes with, what are my options? Something smaller? Maybe *without* a separate cable (which will inevitable get left behind in a hotel room)? Some way to charge in camera? An caddy of sorts to let me use AA/AAA batteries (rechargeable or otherwise)?

TIA
Argun

02-11-2012, 03:52 PM - 1 Like   #2

Get the battery grip, and don't skimp by getting the el-cheapo one, you'll regret it (search the forum). Pentax D-BG4 Battery Grip for Pentax K-7 & K-5 39846 B&H
02-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Hello, I've been looking into this myself. The best solution it seems is to get the battery grip that allows the use of AA batteries.
02-11-2012, 03:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are the after market charger options.

And here is Pentax battery grip, third party model available on ebay but the official one is said to be better quality.

02-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
LOL! A charger for $0.19?
I suppose I can afford to buy one for every single plug at the house and charge anywhere.
02-11-2012, 04:13 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
LOL! A charger for $0.19?
I suppose I can afford to buy one for every single plug at the house and charge anywhere.
Meh. It goes up to $6.99 when you go to buy it, but still not a bad deal.
02-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I saw that too. Figured it had to be a mistake even with the shipping. But what the heck, I did the one-click thing and we will see what happens. It is one of the chargers I was looking to buy anyway. When I got the k-5 I figured I would need another charger and extra batteries, etc. But the battery lasts so long I'm not sure I need a spare charger.

02-11-2012, 06:02 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well, picked up the charger, but didn't dare buy cheap batteries. Plus found a 90 degree viewfinder attachment (gotta get that free shipping you know).

We'll see how deep this rabbit hole goes. Already spending money and my battery isn't even charged yet.
02-11-2012, 08:33 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
I have never once shot so much that I got my battery indicator down to 1 bar, let alone running out of power. This includes a 4 day camping trip in Death Valley.

I'm not saying nobody has extra power needs... but make sure you have that need before spending money.
02-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tzeentchiangod Quote
I have never once shot so much that I got my battery indicator down to 1 bar, let alone running out of power. This includes a 4 day camping trip in Death Valley.
Well, I didn't get extra batteries yet. Most of the time when I need a spare is when it is cold outside and the battery just doesn't last, and there is need for another one sitting in a warm pocket.

But I sure do need an extra and different charger to carry around because I hate things in many pieces like the charger it comes with.
02-11-2012, 11:38 PM   #11

Indeed. Not a lot of cold weather shoots here in sunny L.A.
02-17-2012, 02:42 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Bonjour,

I purchased the Adorama PT-44 charger with the "Power 2000" battery. Both work great together and seperately ... here's the link:

Adorama PT-44 AC/DC Rapid 8.4 volt Battery Charger for Pentax D-Li90 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessories: Database and Reviews

Salut, J
02-17-2012, 11:04 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I ended up ordering this one: Amazon.com: PRO SERIES AC & DC Pentax D-BC90 Replacement D-LI90 / Dli90 Battery Charger For Pentax K-5 / K-7 / K-R / 645D Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Preferred this one because of the USB charge connector at the bottom.
As long as I am carrying a charger, it might as well do double duty, and would be nice to have in hotel rooms and coffee shops where free outlets are at a premium.
02-18-2012, 03:18 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Let me know how this works for you ... SVP

QuoteOriginally posted by atekant Quote
I ended up ordering this one: Amazon.com: PRO SERIES AC & DC Pentax D-BC90 Replacement D-LI90 / Dli90 Battery Charger For Pentax K-5 / K-7 / K-R / 645D Digital SLR Cameras: Camera & Photo

Preferred this one because of the USB charge connector at the bottom.
As long as I am carrying a charger, it might as well do double duty, and would be nice to have in hotel rooms and coffee shops where free outlets are at a premium.

Bonjour atekant,

Could you let me know how this works, "s'il vous plait" (SVP) ...

I'm curious because I'm not quite sure how it could work for both the K-r and the the K-5/7 ... since they are quite different batteries ...

If it does work, then great. I would get one since it could serve both my K-r & K-5 and be USB compatible, etc.

As the French say, "Merci d'avance!" - Salut - J Frog
02-18-2012, 05:00 AM   #15
Banned

There are also hi-charge batterys for use in K-5, but no idea if they work. With a noirmal battery you can make plenty pictures, unless you are of to do video and use liveview, since then they will deplete rapidly.