Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Slow Times

My K-5 seems to favour low iso / slow times. In P I had set a range fot 100 iso to 1250 iso, it was quite dark, so I was surprised to find the camera tended towards the 100 iso, with times as long as 1/3 of a second. The auto ISO parameters stood on the middle setting. I didn't anticipate this, so in the end I just bumped up the lower range. Has anyone seen similar behavior?

02-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #2
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What is your program line set too? Depending on what you have set this to will determent how it is going to prioritizes the settings. For example if you set it to Hi-speed it will prioritizes for higher shutter speeds. Page 102 in the manual.

DAZ
02-13-2012, 02:37 AM   #3

Original Poster
I always use the MFT P-line
02-13-2012, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ursus.Kirk Quote
I always use the MFT P-line
This is what I use most of the time also. The camera will try to use the best aperture setting for the lens you are using even if you are going to get some real slow shutter speeds. For this mode I have limited the auto ISO range to be more limiting. I have also set up 2 user modes that I can get to fast if I need too. One user mode is using the hi-speed program line with a wider auto ISO setting. The other with a narrower auto ISO range but uses DOF priority in the program line. This last one can give slow shutter speeds if the light is low but I use it mostly outside for events that have a lot of front and back stuff that I don't have time to work out the best settings.

If I have a little time to think I use the P mode and go into Hyper program mode setting shutter or aperture I want/need. Automation is a good thing but you have to still know what is happening so you can override when necessary. Just like a car with all wheel drive, traction control and ABS. If you don't know where the limits are you will end up upside down in the ditch.

With the K-5 it is extremely easy to get from one mode to another. Don't like the ISO it is giving you in auto ISO. Push the ISO button and roll the thumb wheel to what you need. To get back push and hold the ISO button then push the green button, you are now back to auto ISO. If you are fighting with the metering go to manual and push the green button. You now have the settings you would get from P mode but you can ruthlessly control any setting and the camera will not try to out think you.

Half the time the camera thinks it know best the other half of the time I think I know best. The problem is we don't know which of us is right which half of the time. We are both right about a ¼ of the time.

DAZ