Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by geezer52 Quote
Not disputing what the engineer told you, but in my case the problem occurred with different lens and after my K5 came back from its 2nd trip to CRIS the K5 and those same lenses are performing just fine together.
I don't think the engineer was blaming the lens, my translation was a little brief and may have given that impression.

More thoroughly, he was saying that that issue can often be caused by a slightly sticky bayonet on the lens, and that it would be advisable to have the lens checked out as well to make sure that it wasn't causing the problem, but that they would take care of all the relevant areas of the camera as well. He was just recommending getting the lens checked as a measure to make sure all the bases were covered.

02-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hmm. If I'm in danger of further damaging the electronics inside I'd rather not try it. I've tried it with three batteries, and after developing the fault the same thing happened with all three, so perhaps the first battery fried the circuits? But I was having similar issues to you. I'd try turning it on in video mode and it'd be a black screen, and then it'd power down in a few seconds. And some of the buttons were unresponsive.

I was doing the same actually, come to think of it. I was checking for FF/BF in the shots with the 50-135, and I kept adjusting to try and sort it out quickly. I settled in the end and went on shooting and then about 20 minutes later the camera died. No video though...

I'll see what they say, hoping to go and see the service centre tomorrow and I'll ask if they know what it might be.
02-14-2012, 02:13 PM   #18

Photos: Gallery
Octav

Agreed that continuing to use a battery that is quite likely depleted after significant use may cause damage. But in my case and from what I read the OP's case, the battery was immediately replaced with one known to be fully charged and yet the problem continued, "Battery Depleted" was displayed even after the a fully charged battery was installed. In my case the camera reset itself after about 12 hours, a fully charge battery installed and the K5 performed normally for about 150 shots and then the same problem re-occured. I had read somewhere that sometimes in this case, giving the camera a firm tap (not a hard knock) would restore function, and again in my case it did (for about 200 shots and a newly charged battery installed just in case). Obviously that's not a good long term situation so sending it in is really the best and only solution.

EvilTwin

Again not disputing what the engineer said, I understood his point. If you own more than one lens it's unlikely they all have a sticky bayonet. If the problem only occurs with one lens then yes a sticky bayonet is a likely culprit but if the same problem occurs with all your lenses then I would say it's the camera. Having had sticky bayonet (and aperture leafs) the lens often demonstrates exposure problems as well.

Marekret

From what I can tell it seems whatever damage is already done and further fiddling will only re-confirm what you already know. Bite the bullet and send it in, the quicker you do the quicker it will be back in your photographer arms
02-14-2012, 02:41 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah I'm taking it in tomorrow, don't fancy sending it by post really. It's not too far. Getting re-acquainted with my K-x again. It's bizarre how small and light it is, especially with the DA 35 on. I remember some guys I met thinking it was M43 at first.

02-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #20
Banned

This is a first for me to read about the mirror. Well they can break, so you are just unluckey.
02-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Indeed I am unlucky, and I already said this is not a dig at the K-5. It's in for repair now, and I can't wait to get it back because it's a fantastic camera. Oddly enough, one thing I really miss (apart from back button AF) is the better Live View of the K-5. Makes it so much easier to get interesting angles when you don't have to squash your face up to the VF. Flexible screen would be nice, but fragile. And K-x live view is as bad as I remember it being...
04-20-2012, 04:56 AM   #22
awx
Inactive Account

I have the problem with my K5. After reading this post I gave camera for repairing and waiting about 3 weeks now - no answers at all.

06-23-2012, 04:30 PM   #23

I bought my K-5 in late Nov 2011, and I LOVE it! However, it did just what you described above (and what others later have listed such as the battery empty deal). The first time it did it I was VERY upset as I did NOT have a spare camera with me on our vacation. So, when we went back to the hotel room I played with the camera, turning it off and on, replacing the battery, changing lenses, etc. etc. until finally it just started working again! Then, it did it again last Sunday on a Senior photo shoot! Luckily for a friend! Again, I sat and tinkered and pushed buttons, and finally it started working again. Then, this afternoon, same thing, though I was just taking "fun" photos for World Pentax Day! Anyway, that's when I found this forum.

Since I was certain it had to do with the mirror or something else electronic, I didn't consider that it might be the lens. However, I did just get a new (well, new to me from B&H used store) lens and was using it when it happened each time. So, I put on another lens, had to play with it a while trying all sorts of things to get it working again, and went out and shot 228 photos (some on continuous shooting!). I had the same lock-up problem about 3 times in that photo shoot, BUT, all I had to do was turn the camera off and on and it would work again. However, I do think this means there's something wrong with the camera as well as that lens, right??

Thanks for this forum to let me know what's happening!
03-26-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Yeah I'm taking it in tomorrow
Mareket,

I have been reading various threads related to the shutter/mirror-lock malfunction and the "Battery Depleted" indication, in order to troubleshoot what I think is a similar problem on my K-5. I couldn't see any posts describing whether your issue was fixed. Could you let us know the outcome of any repair? Thanks.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-26-2013 at 07:04 PM.
03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Mareket,

I have been reading various threads related to the shutter/mirror-lock malfunction and the "Battery Depleted" indication, in order to troubleshoot what I think is a similar problem on my K-5. I couldn't see any posts describing whether your issue was fixed. Could you let us know the outcome of any repair? Thanks.

- Craig
Yeah, I had mine fixed a while back and haven't had an issue since. Can't remember if I posted elsewhere but they said it was a faulty mirror motor or something. Taken easily over 28k shots since the fix and all has been fine. It does still have an issue where the on/off collar doesn't work (turn it off by opening the SD card door, weird...) but that doesn't really bug me all that much.
03-27-2013, 10:56 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great to hear that the repair took care of the problem with the mirror. Thanks kindly for your update.
04-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
awx
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
Mareket,

- Craig
In my case Pentax Service in Lithuania could not identify the problem. So after some weeks of waiting and word battle with Lithuanian authorized Pentax dealer they gave me another K5 and sent my camera to Estonia or Germany. Still no answer, I think they just forgot me