Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Veteran Member

You may not even need a remote.

With the K-5 you could also just try the 'Interval Shooting' option. (Page 152 of the K-5 manual)

Menu > Rec Mode > 2 > 'Interval Shooting'.

Set the camera to B (or M or whatever), then set the number of shots you want (it can even be 1) and the interval between them (eg 30 minutes), then either set a start time whilst still in interval shooting mode (eg 8:30pm), and just press 'Start Shooting' to make it happen.

(Note that the 'interval' option is disabled when you choose to shoot just one shot, naturally, but the camera will still let you choose a start time and interval length for your shot).

02-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Indeed. p116 of the K-5 manual mentions this.

The setting is under Menu > C > 3 > 19: Remote control in Bulb.
Choose 'Mode 1'.
There you go
02-16-2012, 01:01 AM   #18

Original Poster
rawr, I messed around with Interval settings in hope that I'd figure out a way to set a long exposure. Interval doesn't include parameters for length of shot and Interval is not an option when in Bulb mode.
02-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #19

Original Poster
Philoslothical, ThonasDay, and others who asked about the batteries: the Pentax branded weather proof remote I bought comes with the battery already soldered to the chip. The manual states that the battery isn't a user servicable part but I took it apart anyway.

02-16-2012, 01:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Take the path of least resistance, and try any TV remotes you have, or DVD player remotes, anything with an IR diode. Chances are you'll find something that works, and with the two step bulb setting (one pulse to open shutter, a second to close it) you'll be set.
02-16-2012, 01:58 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
As you don't have a lot of time to get something before your trip, I just want to confirm what's been said above that the canon remote does work on both my K-7 and K10d

It's the "Canon RS-60E3 Remote Switch", so you could buy this in a pinch from a camera store if they don't stock much Pentax.
I also have the Pentax non water proof IR remote control F and that works well on both cameras, but the K-7 has the better bulb mode.

As already mentioned, the wired remote is in reality just a 2.5mm stereo headphone plug and you 'could' wire one up yourself:
Homebrew Wired Remote for Canon EOS 350D Camera
02-16-2012, 02:04 AM   #22

Original Poster
Philoslothical, I tried the only remote in my house, to my big screen TV which I just tether to my laptop for streaming and DVD action. This one didn't work. I'm going to try some of these other ideas, the Canon remote that calsan mentioned sounds like it could do the trick. I'm in LA and expected Samy's (our largest local camera retail chain) to carry the Pentax remote and was surprised that they don't. Surely they'll have the Canon one.

02-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Motoservo Quote
Interval doesn't include parameters for length of shot and Interval is not an option when in Bulb mode.
OK, it was worth a shot. The interval settings on the K-5 are more handy than many people realise.

Have you tried using PKtether or pktriggercord then? They let you control your camera via USB. They include lots of options that might be useful to you if you can't use a remote, but do have access to a netbook or laptop...
02-16-2012, 03:26 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Also eBay has lots of $3 IR remotes that work fine with Pentax. I have one myself and it works a treat. Search around in any camera store and they will probably have something similar. Mine claims that it will work with Canon DSLR's.
02-16-2012, 03:43 AM   #25
Veteran Member

If you have doubts weather the remote battery has charge, switch the camera to Live View, bring the remote LED in front of the camera and press the button.
The sensor is IR sensitive, so you will be able to see the LED blinking.

Cool, ha?

OCtav
02-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #26

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Motoservo Quote
Philoslothical, I tried the only remote in my house, to my big screen TV which I just tether to my laptop for streaming and DVD action. This one didn't work. I'm going to try some of these other ideas, the Canon remote that calsan mentioned sounds like it could do the trick. I'm in LA and expected Samy's (our largest local camera retail chain) to carry the Pentax remote and was surprised that they don't. Surely they'll have the Canon one.
Head over to Bel Air Camera in Westwood Village. They have wired remotes for Pentax cameras. It's where I purchased mine. $8, done.
02-16-2012, 09:56 AM   #27

Original Poster
Perfect, I'm headed to Bel Air Camera as soon as they open. Problem solved.

So many replies in such a short time, it's nice to have joined such an active community of Pentax users. I'm certainly digging my new K5, as someone who'll be taking it alpine climbing I really value its weight and size. Is it true that it's the only APS-C on the market that's truly weather proof? I know, of course, Canon and Nikon both have weather proof full frames but am I right in that the K5 is the only weather proof cropped sensor?
02-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Many wireless universal remotes available in Walmart will work Pentax cameras and cost under 10 bucks.
02-16-2012, 10:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
IR remotes are very inexpensive. If you value your time at all, just buy one.
02-16-2012, 11:07 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonto Quote
With my K7 I just set the drive mode to 2 sec delay, press the shutter and it will stop when I hit the shutter again (I dont like that last bit as it can introduce shake) so maybe its a menu option, my K7 isn't here so I can't check for you. .
It's also in the K5 it's an option in the custom menu regarding Bulb.
One press of the shutter to open and another press to close it, just like you said.

Don't be afraid to thouch your camera for the last part, it's not even a second of the 30minute exposure so you won't see that little move.