Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2012, 09:58 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Buying Refurb or new?

Hey so im saving up to buy the k-5, i have done a lot of research and it is definitly the one i want. However, i was wondering if it would make a differnce buying a refurbed one or a new one? and if so where could i get the best price/service? any help would be awesome. Thanks

02-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'd get the best service at B&H, but if you want the lowest price, try buying it from stores in Canada, which sell it for <= $999 new.

Usually there's nothing wrong with getting refurbs, and it'll save you some money. Most refurb K-5 have had their sensors replaced, as back when the camera was launched, there was a sensor stain issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
hmm ok, but overall there is not really a difference between buying new and refurb in your opinion?
02-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Apart from the fact that the camera you're getting may have been lightly used, nope. It'll come in a new box, will be covered by the same warranty, and you'll be able to get the 2-year extended warranty (which you should get IMO).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2012, 10:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok cool! well thanks a lot, iv been wondering about this for quite awhlie
02-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I would buy new, early cameras refurbed for sensor stains are more prone to developing mirror flop. Sounds silly but I'm not making this up.
02-26-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
I would buy new, early cameras refurbed for sensor stains are more prone to developing mirror flop. Sounds silly but I'm not making this up.
Yep, I'll second that from bitter experience get new and check serial number to ensure you are getting new stock.

02-26-2012, 11:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveXT Quote
Yep, I'll second that from bitter experience get new and check serial number to ensure you are getting new stock.
How would you know if the serial is new?

And where can I get the k-5 for <999?
02-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

My $0.02 worth.

In my opinion there is a difference between an item which got refurbished because of old age ( was worn out) or mistreatment and one that got reworked because of an early realization by the manufacturer that there was a faulty component. This is akin to a recall.

Now if an item like the K-5 is shipped with two faulty components, namely the other being a faulty mainboard which caused the mirror flopping, and this is discovered by the manufacturer early enough one would assume both these faulty parts got replaced during the re-furb. If this is the case this re-furb should almost be better ore at least as god than any other new cam. So I would not have any hesitation, under these circumstances, to buy a re-furb particularly if you get a full manufacturers warranty. Save yourself some dollars.

By the way, I had one of those mirror floppers and the mainboard (Pentax repair shop call them Top Boards) was replaced. All is god since.

What I object to is if there is deceit by the seller if he/she doesn't tell you you are buying a re-furb item.

Greetings
02-27-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
How would you know if the serial is new?

Here tis! Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com
02-27-2012, 01:18 AM   #11

Schraubstock: I agree about the deceit. I got one of those K-5s from a store in Sydney (probably not their fault - I think they were sent it from Australian distributors).

It's an unpleasant surprise to find something you bought as new isn't new at all. Buying a refurbished camera at a reduced price is a completely different matter, no deceit involved (and it's legal).

02-27-2012, 06:51 AM   #12
Adorama Camera Representative

QuoteOriginally posted by Tromboneking Quote
hmm ok, but overall there is not really a difference between buying new and refurb in your opinion?
All refurbished Pentax units sold by Adorama Camera come with a 90-day return-to-Adorama warranty and are factory refurbished by the manufacturer; they will have been checked over by the manufacturer by hand, inspected very thoroughly, diagnosed, and calibrated by experienced technicians, and could therefore turn out to be more dependable than a new item - which will only have been checked by a process of systematic quality control protocol (ie by random sampling as it comes off the conveyor belt).

Refurbs can have simply been pulled from the production line if something appears faulty, or if they haven’t passed the final inspection. Most of the time it is a very minor issue that needs correcting, nevertheless, once it is pulled from the normal flow of production, it gets flagged as a refurbished model, so you may get a unit straight from the factory that has never been used. (I have two refurbs myself, and for sure they were both factory-fresh!)

A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

As to the individual history of a single item, the honest answer is we have no way of knowing. Refurbished equipment is not like new inventory; the manufacturers contact us when they have a batch to sell, and the availability is unpredictable. However, if you were to ask my personal opinion on whether the equipment that Adorama offers as refurbished is typically less than a year old, based on the regularity with which we receive batches, I'd be inclined to think it is all relatively new.

I hope this helps, but you are most welcome to email me directly: Helen@adorama.com if you need additional information or advice
02-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote

Pentax K-5 - Canada and Cross-Border Price Comparison - photoprice.ca
02-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tromboneking Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by Helen Oster Quote
A refurb may also be an ex-store demo, possibly used in field tests or sales displays, or it may have been ordered in error and returned to the retailer (who can't then sell it as 'new' so it has to be sent back to the manufacturer for refurbishment).

I bought my K-5 over the internet from a known, respected Pentax dealer in the UK. It was expressly advertised as an ex-demo unit and the number of shutter actuations was stated as less than 9,000. When I received it, I could confirm that the number of shutter actuations was actually about 7,900 and that the manufacturing date was 8 months before I bought it. Need I say that it was and is in excellent condition?

My rationale four daring to buy such an item was that a respected dealer would hardly use a "junk" copy with sensor stains and all to promote sales and such a dealer woould hardly put his reputaion at stake by selling an item at the verge of total collapse.

So I should say: Yes you can buy a refurb with a good deal of confidence if you buy from a known, professional dealer who is prepared to tell what you are in fact buying and who has a fair return- and warrranty policy.
02-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #15

All companies have some products fail shortly after they are put in use, these early failures are known as "infant mortalities." My K5 suffered the mirror flop issue after about 2,000 shots and was repaired by CRIS. I feel better about the camera now because it was used enough by me to find other possible problems before it was sent to CRIS. I also feel better knowing that a trained repair tech took the time to find other issues and repaired them before returning the camera, in my case dust under the poorly sealed LCD. Because of this I would not be afraid of a reconditioned unit, I might even feel better about it over one built during the quality issue period Pentax apparently had.