Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you hear sound from K5 in video mode?

Hi all,

Yesterday night, just before I went to sleep, and I happen to take out my K5 and trying to adjust the neck strap. My room is really quiet when I turn off everything. I then turn on the K5 (it is in video mode, last when I use it), and I hear a consistent sound from K5, sound like motor winding, or fan rotating. This is the first time I hear this sound, mainly because I never turn on my K5 in such quiet environment. There is no sound in other modes (Av, P, M, etc.).

Have anyone else realize this? what is that sound?
I was thinking a fan is turn on to cool the sensor as live view in video mode heat the sensor... but that sound unlikely.

Can anyone try this out? You have to be in a absolutely quiet environment to hear this (like you can hear your own breathing).

Thanks,
Lee

02-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's probably the SR you hear. When you are shooting film the sensor are moving because of the SR, the same when you are using live view.
02-27-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The sound is even worse on the K-x/K-r. Don't worry about it.
02-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

It's the servos holding the sensor. They are a part of the SR-system, and they are used even if SR is off. So it's normal.

02-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I forgot to mention, I did go into the manual and disabled SR in video mode.
But the sound still there.
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I repeat "They are a part of the SR-system, and they are used even if SR is off."
02-27-2012, 08:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
I repeat "They are a part of the SR-system, and they are used even if SR is off."
Hi Gimbal,

In this case why only in video mode there is sound?
There is no sound in other mode even using LV.

Lee

02-28-2012, 12:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The sound is there in live view as well, that is a fact. Just listen more carefully, it's there.
02-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
The sound is even worse on the K-x/K-r. Don't worry about it.
Ah Ha! Thanks for that bit of information - I heard it when using live view on the K-x last weekend and wondered what the hell it was!

David
02-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

It's noisy, can't be turned off. If you turn the SR off, the SR are actually still working holding the sensor up for you, just not moving it around in response to your movement but to be on to hold it still. So its really hard to avoid the noise. Only way to get rid of it is to somehow drown it or use an external micrphone that is placed far enough from the body for the noise not to register.
03-02-2012, 01:55 PM   #11

It's the drawback of having the stabilisation in the box rather than in the lenses.
if you think of adding an external sound recorder with mic mounted on a the hotshoe, you'll also need a supension system to prevent the noise to propagate to your recorder mic ()
I have a zoom H1 and i've had to make one cause without, the noise was much louder that with internal mic.
Even with suspension, on very quiet places, you'll always get the noise, cause there is a noise you can hear...

Last edited by biboun; 03-02-2012 at 01:57 PM. Reason: picure editing