Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 02:47 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ataunton Quote
For a portrait lens I would highly consider the 77 Limited. Check out the FA Limited Club thread for some truly impressive photos from this lens. I don't have one my self, but it may be next on my list after looking through that thread.
Just reading through the thread and looking at the amazing images, I can certainly see the sense in having a prime around the 70MM range. Unfortunately the FA77 is a little out of my price range currently but looking at the 70mm SMC DA f2.4 Limited now. Seems like it might be a good compromise.

Deiberson / Belcik thanks for the links, both very interesting...

Does anyone have any idea how much better the DA70 would be than the Tamron 28-75 mentioned above in terms of IQ?

Thanks again for all the great advice.

03-03-2012, 07:16 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Uh, did you mean that the other way around? 50 on an APSC is roughly equal to a 75 on FF.
50 on FF is 75 on APS-C
03-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #18
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akirkby Quote
Just reading through the thread and looking at the amazing images, I can certainly see the sense in having a prime around the 70MM range. Unfortunately the FA77 is a little out of my price range currently but looking at the 70mm SMC DA f2.4 Limited now. Seems like it might be a good compromise.
I hear you, it is definitely not cheep. Strangely, after that post yesterday I the chance to try one and I will be saving up for one of these for how ever long it takes. I only snapped a few shots, but here is one example straight out of the camera with no PP @ 1.8

03-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by akirkby Quote
Does anyone have any idea how much better the DA70 would be than the Tamron 28-75 mentioned above in terms of IQ?
I own both these lenses. Also in terms of portrait lenses, the pentax 50-135. In terms of IQ [subjective] I would put them in this order: 50-135, then the DA 70 and then the 28-75. But I use the DA 70 the least. The zooms are just more convenient for my way of shooting.

03-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Everyone has their pet ideas..... all good, but I'm headed a different direction. What you don't have is any macro capabilitly. either a 50 or 100 macro would
function both for macro and for portrait work. frankly I'd be inclined to get a 50mm macro to upgrade your 50M and use it for both portraits or macro.
03-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
50 on FF is 75 on APS-C
Well, sorta: A 50mm lens on APS-C has the FOV of a 75mm lens on 135/FF.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
What you don't have is any macro capabilitly. either a 50 or 100 macro would function both for macro and for portrait work. frankly I'd be inclined to get a 50mm macro to upgrade your 50M and use it for both portraits or macro.
I'm not familiar with AF macro lenses but I have a few MFs including the Macro-Tak 50/4 (1x) and Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 (also 1x). I can and do use the 90mm for portrait headshots. I don't so use the 50mm because of its focus throw. The throw is quite long from 0-1m, and very short from 1m-infinity. So it's rather difficult to manually focus at portrait distances. This likely won't be an issue with an AF 50mm macro. Just saying...

A low-budget way to get both macro and portraiture capabilities is to use enlarger lenses (ELs) on extension. I use various cheap super-sharp 75mm ELs either on tubes for fixed-focus, or on a focusing helicoid or a fairly thin bellows for variable focus. And a bit of focus adjustment is possible with basic non-auto M42 tubes. How cheap is cheap? Last year I got four for a dime -- one each Vivitar, Rodenstock, Schneider, and Wollensak 75s for US$9 shipped.
03-03-2012, 12:46 PM   #22
Veteran Member

akirkby,
Really nice images you posted - congratulations!

I don't do any studio stuff, but do volunteer work for a live theatre, promos, headshots and rehearsal pics. Most of that i do with the Tamron 28-75 f2.8. Always wished it went to a 24 at the bottom of the range, always thought about getting the Sigma version. Then i also do cityscapes and landscapes, primarily with the DA*50-135 which is what i really wanted to post about. I've had the DA for 3 years and no problem with the SDM, its a bit slow, but the optics are incredible, it would be the lens i keep if limited to just one.

I've done head shots with the 50-135 and they come out well, but the lens is a bit initimidating with a long hood and size, so haven't used it for that purpose so much. The poll that Adam is doing on the SDM problems seems to show that rate of sdm problems is decreasing pretty dramatically, but i recognize there are limitations to any internet poll.

The lenses i use most, in order of usage are:
Tam 28-75
Pen DA 50-135
Pen DA 21