Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Pleased with Print and K-5

Made my first print from a photo taken with my new K-5 today and was very pleased. Made a 17.75W by 12.68H print which is the same size in printed area square inches as the prints I have been making with my 6x7 scanned film prints and was pleased with the degree of sharpness and how easily it was able to print in that size with a more than acceptable level of quality. It was surprisingly so sharp that I had to back off on my usual sharpening behaviors in Photoshop CS3. The photo was a jpeg taken with the Da 50-135 zoom. I used auto focus as I've thus far been having problems manually focusing the lens which is at least partially due to my deteriorating eyesight (very far sighted). Tried a 10x loupe and reading glasses on the monitor when in live view mode this morning but still having problems even with the magnification feature when attempting to focus manually. Any suggestions other than a good eye exam?

03-03-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can't help you with the eye problem, but great to hear that you got such a big print to look good! It's quite a capable camera, isn't it?
03-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #3

I agree with your comments on the sharpness of the K5. I have compared 13 x 19 prints taken with my K5 against those from my now sold Canon 5DII and can see very little difference, if any at all. I have also compared the K5 with prints from my Hasselblad and again see little difference in the 13 x 19 size, including ones printed in the darkroom. I am amazed at the technology that can produce these prints.

I also have focusing problems, but seldom use auto focus lenses, instead I prefer older primes with larger apertures. I set my focus point for center and place it on the object, then turn the lens until I hear the beep telling me that the lens is in focus. Works well once you get used to it.
03-05-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Banned

I print 20x30 and 24x36 on a regular basis.
The prints from the K5 look nothing short of amazing.