Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

AF-S vs AF-C, Interesting Observation!

Fellow Pentaxians, try this; set your k5 to afs and try shooting subjects at various distance swiftly. It will only fire away when your subjects are in focus. Try again under afc mode. The k5 will trigger the shutter the moment you press the shutter. Go for afs and you will have more pictures in focus.

PS. I am using spot focus and single shot mode.

Last edited by lightbulb; 03-01-2012 at 06:21 PM.
03-01-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Inactive Account

You can also set Focus priority or Release priority for AFS in the menu Custom 3, and Focus or FPS priority for AFC.
03-01-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought that was something new that we don't already know... seldom go for AF-C unless you want to track the action; not only that, if you wait for the "hand" to come up before tripping the shutter, you will get higher percentage of in-focus shots.
03-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jmg257 Quote
You can also set Focus priority or Release priority for AFS in the menu Custom 3, and Focus or FPS priority for AFC.
Yes, unfortunately the Custom Menu can't do anything about AFC. I have tried selecting either 1 or 2.

The irony is that AFC is suppose to track the action and try to lock focus on moving object before we press the shutter. It is not doing that at all.

03-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Does it do that via liveview?
03-01-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I used to use centre spot AF in AF-S on my K-7, because AF-C didn't work very well, and automatically set the K-5 in the same way, but was getting heaps of out-of-focus captures, so I actually found the complete opposite to this worked brilliantly on my K-5, AF-C, 11 point multi mode, 7fps, followed action amazingly well at a surf comp recently where the sugject was not only moving sideways from right to left in front of me, but also comming forwards as the waves rushing towards shore, as well as the erratic movement of the surfer himself up and down the face of the breaking wave.

cmohr
Arrrrrrrr.
03-01-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I think AFC is ideal for sport and OVF gives better real time framing.

03-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cmohr Quote
Yes, I used to use centre spot AF in AF-S on my K-7, because AF-C didn't work very well, and automatically set the K-5 in the same way, but was getting heaps of out-of-focus captures, so I actually found the complete opposite to this worked brilliantly on my K-5, AF-C, 11 point multi mode, 7fps, followed action amazingly well at a surf comp recently where the sugject was not only moving sideways from right to left in front of me, but also comming forwards as the waves rushing towards shore, as well as the erratic movement of the surfer himself up and down the face of the breaking wave.

cmohr
Arrrrrrrr.
Sounds like buggy K5 between yours and mine.