Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think it comes down to 2 things, people having personal money issues and people wanting to get the most out of selling the K5 before they upgrade to the new model. With a new top model likely coming out soon and affecting what they can get for a K5 it makes sense to sell now if you are planning to upgrade. Why wait a few months only to get less? Also, contrary to the sunny statements from Washington the financial situation of most people I know isn't magically better. People are still running into situations where they have unexpected bills and are having to rethink that K5 purchase. If you've got no extra money an unexpected $2000 emergency bill in one hand and a $1000 camera and $1000 worth of lenses in the other what are you going to do? You're going to sell the camera you probably shouldn't have splurged on to begin with, of course. Buyer's remorse, flat wallet, it happens all the time.

03-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #32

I have never used both cameras side by side, nor would I care to do so. Never once did I state that the D700 has greater dynamic range than the K-5. I will say that from ISO 200+, the D700 bests the K-5. In addition, I am able to actually recover highlight details from my Raw files with my D700 and a substantial amount of shadow details (Probably 3 stops).

What propelled Nikon forward for me was not solely their cameras, but their entire system and depth of options. This made my decision to switch rather simple.

Luckily for me, I was able to sell my K-5, lenses and flashes for more than I purchased, so the leap to full frame was actually more a small step.

Last edited by IIGQ4U; 03-02-2012 at 02:17 PM.
03-02-2012, 12:50 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Awesome dude, be sure and let us know how it works out for you.
03-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Everyone seems to be assuming that if there are lots of K-5's for sale, something must be wrong. It could just be that they've sold a lot of them -- the more popular something is, the more of them there are around in absolute terms and thus more for sale (for all the usual reasons). Unless someone can show that a high PERCENTAGE of K-5s are being sold relative to other products at this point in its life-span, no need for concern...

03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #35

Could it also be that everyone is waiting until PENTAX releases the K-5 successor (another APS-C model) ?
03-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Primarily, I think it's the allure of new cameras that's causing the sell-off, but of course, personal matters often arise, especially in today's economic climate. For me personally, I don't have an extra $3000 lying around for the D800, so if I wanted the camera, I'd have to sell existing equipment. Anyhow, the wave of sell-offs after new cameras hit the market is to be expected. Most people are always clamoring for the "latest and greatest". What's ironic is how it doesn't always improve the quality of their photos.

As for the K-5, it doesn't seem to be holding it's value too well. I base this on used prices I've seen for the D7000, which is a cheaper camera, versus used prices I've seen for the K-5. Most completed listings on eBay show the D7000 still fetching $1000 or more, while the K-5 is anywhere from $850 to $950. Perhaps it's simply due to demand and the fact that the Nikons are backordered almost everywhere.
03-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #37

To get a better perspective, go to dpreview's web site and look at the for sale section. Just about anything that has been sold ever is back up for sale there. We just see more Pentax gear because that is where we are at the moment.

03-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Definitely, I often comparison shop on FredMiranda as well. I'm sure we'll be seeing a lot of used Canon 5D MKIIs and D700s for sale as well in the coming months. I'm already seeing more than usual on Craigslist locally.
03-02-2012, 04:01 PM   #39
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The D800 and new 5D are appealing, and some people are switching systems rather than just adding the FF to their lineups
03-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #40

While FF is always an attractive possibility, other than the M-9, there is not a one that I would want to lug into the field. And of course, I can not afford an M-9 so APC is it for me. The k-5 is the best at the moment and matched with one of the beautifully small and light primes, I am as happy as I could be. Since my photography is for my own enjoyment, I see no reason to make the capture end of it a day of drudgery lugging any of those monsters around. And yes, this is just for me. Wish I needed another k-5 as I would pick up one as the prices drop. But it will be a k-01 that will get my next bunch of saved funds.
03-02-2012, 05:45 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Nice rental system you have there. I hope it still requires some documentation of a true flaw.
No flaws necessary. If it doesn't do as advertised or you are unhappy with it (I believe).

I bought a Sigma 70-200 HSM II and the price had dropped by $400 unbeknown to me - I only found out after 3 months of using it via another store. The store sold me their old stock at full money so I took it back and told them I wanted my money back. They had no choice.
03-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by einstrigger Quote
Primarily, I think it's the allure of new cameras that's causing the sell-off, but of course, personal matters often arise, especially in today's economic climate. For me personally, I don't have an extra $3000 lying around for the D800, so if I wanted the camera, I'd have to sell existing equipment. Anyhow, the wave of sell-offs after new cameras hit the market is to be expected. Most people are always clamoring for the "latest and greatest". What's ironic is how it doesn't always improve the quality of their photos.

As for the K-5, it doesn't seem to be holding it's value too well. I base this on used prices I've seen for the D7000, which is a cheaper camera, versus used prices I've seen for the K-5. Most completed listings on eBay show the D7000 still fetching $1000 or more, while the K-5 is anywhere from $850 to $950. Perhaps it's simply due to demand and the fact that the Nikons are backordered almost everywhere.
$850-950 is excellent given that they sell for $995 new.
03-03-2012, 08:04 AM   #43
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
$850-950 is excellent given that they sell for $995 new.
I bet 99% of K-5 owners paid more than $995.
Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Black) 14748 B&H
03-03-2012, 08:29 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I bet 99% of K-5 owners paid more than $995.
Pentax K-5 Digital SLR Camera (Body Only) (Black) 14748 B&H
Price shopping is not for everyone and not everyone is good at it. But it's a fairly common price for it at this point in the life-cycle. There are advantages and disadvantages of being an early adopter - price is a disadvantage.
03-03-2012, 08:39 AM   #45

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
I bought a Sigma 70-200 HSM II and the price had dropped by $400 unbeknown to me - I only found out after 3 months of using it via another store. The store sold me their old stock at full money so I took it back and told them I wanted my money back. They had no choice.
And you Aussies are always complaining about how much more expensive it is down under... this is part of the reason. Consumers who don't do their research and dump all the responsibility on the retailer drive the prices up, the inevitable result of overly-liberal return laws. (There's my retailer's bias showing...)