Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Start up screen

I take it that neither the K-5 nor K-r (the only Pentax digital cameras that I own) have start up screens that announce Pentax, or Ricoh/Pentax, or something? I have never seen anything on mine and I am not aware of a setting that will allow one to be displayed. I am only bringing this up because I seem to recall posts about a previous firmware upgrade that happened when Ricoh took over. Someone was saying that the Ricoh logo appeared, but they may have been joking?

I don't necessarily want a start up screen, but it does seem like Ricoh / Pentax is missing an oppurtunity to splash the brand around a bit. Also, not that I would want any more logos, but don't most other brands have logos front and rear?

03-02-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A start up screen is an unnecessary piece of bloat to the camera firmware that would waste the photographers time, possibly cause lost shots and tell me something I already know. Their main use is to show you that your electronic product is on and working while it's software is booting so you don't get mad and start hitting it. I would rather my camera came on and was ready to shoot in the time it takes to move the switch to ON and the camera to my eye.
03-02-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Look at the front of the camera - logo's there

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Prolly shouldn't have...

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
A start up screen is an unnecessary piece of bloat to the camera firmware that would waste the photographers time, possibly cause lost shots and tell me something I already know. Their main use is to show you that your electronic product is on and working while it's software is booting so you don't get mad and start hitting it. I would rather my camera came on and was ready to shoot in the time it takes to move the switch to ON and the camera to my eye.
I probably shouldn't have started this thread. I don't want a start up screen and I don't want any more logos. I will just chalk it up to "Being different" as to why a start up screen doesn't exist (or it does and I can't remember if, when, and how I turned it off), and why there is only one reference to the Pentax brand on the the camera.

03-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

I'm getting older every day.......but so far I can still remember my K5 is a Pentax! This would be a great idea for a friend of mine, Jim (Parallax) as he could really use the reminder at his age.
Regards!
03-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As far back as I can remember, my istDl/K10/K20 don't have a start-up screen. That really something that is scene is P+S cameras.
03-02-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
I probably shouldn't have started this thread.
It was an interesting thread none the less.

I don't ever remember my K200, K20 and my K5 having startup screens with logos. My Nikon D80 didn't either.

I suspect no DSLRs do, as someone else posted, when you want your camera ready, you want it ready NOW.

03-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #8

If you buy a camera and you didn't know the brand of it, why did you buy it in the first place? Surely you should know what you have...Not to mention something as expensive as a dslr, one would hope you'd have researched a bit before making a purchase.
03-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I remember my K-r had a sort of start up screen that showed up all the modes, it made the startup feel slower than it is (you can skip it by half pressing the shutter), but the k-5 definitely doesnt and I like that it doesnt better.
03-03-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mtansley Quote
I suspect no DSLRs do, as someone else posted, when you want your camera ready, you want it ready NOW.
Seems to make a lot of sense. I am good without one for sure. I just thought that I may have turned it off at one point and couldn't remember. BTW, the K-5 does say Pentax on the back at the bottom of the LCD. The K-r doesn't. I was having flashbacks to an old Optio that I had when 3mp's seemed like a lot. I remember seeing something "Pentax" come up on that one. My wife's Canon G9 has a start up screen, and I think that the Nikon P120 that I had for a few months last year had one, too.

FYI, I didn't do any research before buying my Pentax cameras. I was seduced by the green button, haha.
03-03-2012, 09:45 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
FYI, I didn't do any research before buying my Pentax cameras. I was seduced by the green button, haha.
Nothing wrong with that green button. I find it useful if I'm metering something different (like an M lens or hooking it up to a telescope).

I think that the startup screen can be deactivated on most of the P & S cameras in any case.
03-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I think that the startup screen can be deactivated on most of the P & S cameras in any case.
Are you kidding me? Those things have settings?
But, as mentioned, DSLRs are meant for people that need it on asap, and if they don't they keep it running all the time anyway. My camera is on 24/7, since it sleeps after a minute and uses no power whatsoever. And no, I don't need to be reminded what I use either.
03-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Well it can be deactivated on my 8 year old Canon A70 P & S. And that old camera actually has 'PASM' on the mode dial and actually has an optical viewfinder. Still works fine and takes good 3.2megapixel photos. Complements my K-5 quite well and puzzles people as to why you have a DSLR AND a P & S.
03-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Well it can be deactivated on my 8 year old Canon A70 P & S. And that old camera actually has 'PASM' on the mode dial and actually has an optical viewfinder. Still works fine and takes good 3.2megapixel photos. Complements my K-5 quite well and puzzles people as to why you have a DSLR AND a P & S.
I still have most of the cameras I have owned through the years, including my first digital, a Fuji Finepix 2650. Only 2 megapixels but it really produced some beautiful shots. 4x6 prints from my printer were stunning. It got me seriously thinking of moving from film to a DSLR. I still carried it around on occasion when I didn't want to bring a DSLR. The biggest drawback was the slow speed. It takes several seconds between shots. I now have a phone that serves that purpose. Consider how much digital photography has come in 10 years.That little Fuji cost well over $200 for 2 megapixels. DSLRs cost thousands.
03-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'll bet the K-01 has a start-up screen showing the K-01 logo and Mark Newson signature. I'll bet that because I think I saw it in Frank's un-boxing thread