Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Jump in camera-assigned image numbers

My K-5 did something weird. Mid-shoot, the file/image numbers jumped ahead by about 2700 (some odd number, not at that computer at the moment). All of my images are there, nothing seems to be missing, just the numbers jumped forward by a bunch. Anyone else have this happen? Should I be worried?

03-05-2012, 05:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Did you change memory cards at that point or are the images all on the same card.

When I upgraded from my K20 to my K-5 at one point I reused a memory card and was fiddling with the menus and it noted that the image number on the older K20 card was much higher and proceeded to update the K-5 numbers to advance from that.

Otherwise, I haven't seen anything like that happen.
03-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #3
mel
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly I don't remember. I was shooting a live theatre production. I did change cards at one point and considered that but based on the images, I don't think that was the point in the production where it happened. This is judging by the scenes. The lower number image, action wise, was immediately before the higher number one (not a delay of an apparent few seconds/minute that it would take to change out the card).
03-05-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Hmm, sounds like the camera did actually make a mistake. it would be quite rare I'd imagine.

However, if you haven't lost anything and all the photos look OK then maybe it was just one of those really random things that can happen.

Hopefully someone else will jump in here with some thoughts.

03-05-2012, 07:24 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would go back and look at the date time stamp on the images where the 1) where the jump occurred and 2) the last image of the old card and the first image of the new card. I would think that the new card had some image files on it that possibly changed the image file number sequence.

03-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you put in the SD card that already has the folder with the same date, the camera will follow the filename (what ever number it was in the previous shot in that card). If however, the SD card does not have the folder corresponding to the current date, then it will create a 'current' date folder and use the last filename count from its internal memory.
03-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
My K-5 did something weird. Mid-shoot, the file/image numbers jumped ahead by about 2700 (some odd number, not at that computer at the moment). All of my images are there, nothing seems to be missing, just the numbers jumped forward by a bunch. Anyone else have this happen? Should I be worried?
Happened to me once with the K-5, except that it jumped in the other direction, with the results that on the hard disk I ended up trying to save files with the same name for different pictures. This didn't work well with how I organize my images in folders etc. What was strange was that in the exif the image number was correct. In the end I solved it with a neat little program I found that renamed the image files according to the actual number in the exif (and this I did to a couple of thousand shots). I never found an explanation to why the camera did this though. Never done it again.

03-07-2012, 12:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The only way I can see that happening was if you switched cards with a file name a higher number than the last one (maybe it got renamed?). It's weird that the camera would make that kind of mistake.
03-21-2012, 08:21 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just had it happen to me, and searching for a fix is what lead me here. I put in a card that I had some pics from my K10D. It started with the next number after the K10D pics. I know in the past if I deleted pics at the pc, they were still visible on the camera until I formatted the card. I don't know if these were actually deleted or not, but the card was definitely not formatted. Anybody got any ideas on how to get the image number back to where it should be?
03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jodokast96 Quote
I just had it happen to me, and searching for a fix is what lead me here. I put in a card that I had some pics from my K10D. It started with the next number after the K10D pics. I know in the past if I deleted pics at the pc, they were still visible on the camera until I formatted the card. I don't know if these were actually deleted or not, but the card was definitely not formatted. Anybody got any ideas on how to get the image number back to where it should be?
the process is simple

delete all images from the card (after saving them if not done already) and perhaps reformat the card.

then, in the camera menu, reset the sequential image to zero.

now, using your PC put the last image you took with the camera back on the card

turn your camera on, and do an image review to make sure the camera sees the photo you put on the card.

take a picture and it should jump to the next sequential number after the image you put on the card
03-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Ok, got it. I was doing that, but it turns out I had to connect the camera to the PC, and change the file name while the card was in the camera. If I pulled the card, it would just ignore the last file number.